MOL Quoting wrong repair flat rates

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

MOL Quoting wrong repair flat rates

Post by AL7OC »

Just a heads-up that I got the wrong flat rate quoted by MOL for an XTS5K repair job. I told the person on the phone that I was an end-user, and they quoted me a flat rate of $327. When I called to check on the repair, they told me that my cost was now $393, and more or less, it sucks to be you! I should have got it in writing. I think others have recently been quoted the wrong price as well?!

I'm also not to happy about the disconnect between what the repair status is on-line versus it's actual status at the depot. The MOL tool seems to take days to update online. I put in a ticket last Tuesday to request information, and was told to expect a reply in 24 hours. Still nothing yet!

Not to start a rant, but this is why I like dealing with Thales. They are much more responsive and on-the-ball when it comes to customer service. I love Motorola equipment, but hate dealing with Motorola.

Thank goodness for helpful dealers like Escomm. Too bad that they are a few thousand miles from here, so I'm stuck with the self-serve model, for now. My local M dealer is courteous, but if it involves anything APB, they are at a loss, and I get another run-around trying to get pricing and information. Often, they look up info on this BBS when I ask for information because even they have trouble getting the right info from M. Maybe my view up here is distorted because of our location, bu you'd think M would be more helpful to their customers with cash in hand. Maybe unless you have several million, you're not worth their time? :(

Anyone else getting bad MOL quotes or the run-around lately?
Pierre

AL7OC
AL7OC

Re: MOL Quoting wrong repair flat rates

Post by AL7OC »

This gets better... I opened a couple of service support cases 9 days ago to find out why the radio was in "general hold" repair status. Got a message yesterday from Motorola service depot. Apparently it was some sort of parts hold. Cool - it's an update, and that's all I was asking for. They said that the radio would ship soon. Great!

Got another message this morning that the radio had shipped, but it stated "no charge" for the repair, and some sort of bogus PO number in the PO field. Hmmmm... The message had a FEDEX tracking number.

Doubting the possibility of corporate largess with the "no charge" amount listed, I ran the FEDEX tracking number and the shipment showed "cancelled by shipper"... Now what?

I reopened the original case on the phone. Nobody had a clue why they didn't bill me, where the PO number came from, or why the return shipment was cancelled.

Maybe my Lucky Pierre days are over, or maybe the way that M tracks repairs is really screwed up? Anybody else get the perpetual run-around regarding depot repairs?

I am in no big hurry (it"s been 3 weeks since I shipped it out), but it's a little unnerving not being able to get a straight answer back from their customer service team. They're polite, but it seems like their repair tracking system is busted.

Is this an exception or SNAFU? Maybe I should just cool my jets for a week and see what happens? Hopefully my radio won't get shipped to an Elbonian police station and billed on a Taliban PO in the mean time! :o

PIerre
Pierre

AL7OC
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Don't forget that you are dealing with two companies here. You are asking Motorola for repair status information that a different company (CTDI) is repairing. The people at MOL have to rely on what the CTDI people are telling them and they forward the info to you. If CTDI says "I don't know why.....", what can the MOL rep say? And yes, I do believe Motorola should do something to improve their service processes.
Dave
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Don't forget the translation from English to Spanish to English again.....
AL7OC

Post by AL7OC »

I got the radio back again yesterday in working order. Thanks for the reminder regarding CTDI. I knew that the radios went to Juarez, but I thought that the process was more integrated between MOL and CTDI.

The lesson here is that once out in CTDI's hands, tracing a radio repair status and getting billing information from MOL is difficult. It takes 3-4 days to get an answer back due to the way the system works. It now makes sense why the process is FUBAR.

The invoice with the radio had the flat rate on it, so no clue why the repair cost on my MOL account was listed "no charge". I have the money set aside, but I don't want to spend it on something else and get a bill 6 months down the road.

Turn around time was about 3 weeks for replacing the RF FET and battery connector.
Pierre

AL7OC
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

DJP126 wrote:Don't forget that you are dealing with two companies here. You are asking Motorola for repair status information that a different company (CTDI) is repairing. The people at MOL have to rely on what the CTDI people are telling them and they forward the info to you. If CTDI says "I don't know why.....", what can the MOL rep say? And yes, I do believe Motorola should do something to improve their service processes.
Yeah, actually Motorola brought the depot back in house earlier this year. The transition started early last year with a couple of product lines. In any event, the depot is not run by CTDI any longer. It's back with Motorola now. Draw your own conclusions from here.
4-crime
What radios do you own?: APX6000, APX7000, APX8000

Post by 4-crime »

I sent out an XTS5000 for repair back on May 2nd. It showed up on MOL on the 8th that it was received and "work in process". For about 4 days I could not get any information on the repair status because something was screwed up on Motorola's end. I had to open a ticket. They fixed the issue and now I can track the repair status again but it hasn't been updated since the 14th. It still says "work in process" and it is due to ship on May 21st. I also was quoted by 3 different customer service reps from MOL for a flat rate repair cost of $327 but I do not have an end-user account so that might be why.
AL7OC

Post by AL7OC »

I finally got the bill for the depot repair on the 5K. The clowns at MOL mis-quoted $327 for a flat rate, got a message from the MOL people that the repair was "no-charge", and got billed for $393. WTFO?

Don't mind paying for the work, but man, what a FUBAR process getting a straight answer out of anyone at MOL!
Pierre

AL7OC
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

AL7OC wrote:I finally got the bill for the depot repair on the 5K. The clowns at MOL mis-quoted $327 for a flat rate, got a message from the MOL people that the repair was "no-charge", and got billed for $393. WTFO?

Don't mind paying for the work, but man, what a FUBAR process getting a straight answer out of anyone at MOL!

Welcome to the new management's way of running the ship. My prediction is that if Motorola doesn't do an about face on the way they treat their customers and service shops, there won't be anything to worry about in 5 years or less. The other radio vendors are starting to pull the sales away from Motorola even on the federal level. People are getting to the point they have had enough of the BS that Motorola feeds you all the time. I have been a strong supporter of Motorola, but they are making me think twice now when ever I have to do anything with them.

They have already sold off the cellular handset division to Google because it wasn't making any money and the share holders were complaining.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”