Radio/Covertacom suggestions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

posse401
What radios do you own?: MT2000, Saber I, SP50, Spectra

Radio/Covertacom suggestions

Post by posse401 »

I am looking for some guidance and suggestions. I currently have a MT2000 and Saber both on VHF that I use for work and to monitor local agencies on VHF. I have recently taken over some responsibilities where I have sites on UHF. What I would "like" to do is have two radios (VHF and P25 UHF) that are capable of using one covertacom unit (at different times - switch out depending on where I am). I've talked with a few folks and thought i would open it up the group. Ideally I would like to be able to utilize at least one of the radios I already have and pick up a P25 UHF and a convertacom to use. I am curious is there are any radios that fit this bill or if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Re: Radio/Covertacom suggestions

Post by WV8VFD »

UHF astro saber, and an Astro Vehicular Adapter. You can still use your saber, as long as its serial number falls in the correct range to use in the AVA, and then you have your UHF P25 Astro Saber.
Tyler Lewis
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

You cant use an astro saber in a Saber SVA as the antenna will not switch over to external antenna. Also you can not use a Saber in an Astro AVA as the connector has a pin to activate the Astro saber antenna switch, unless you find a very late model saber with the hole in the connector. My suggestion is to get 2 XTS3000's one VHF and one UHF P25 an XTVA and a dual band antenna and all it takes is to switch radios out. You wouldnt be able to have a RF amp though. I did something simular with two systems sabers years ago.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Actually, you could run an amp... there are dual-band amps out there. You could also put a diplexer behind the XTVA, out to two single-band amps and single-band antennas. I wouldn't want to use this in a first-line public safety environment but it would be fine for a tech.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Thats true..I never needed an amp as the setup was mostly for monitoring. That would work
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I would advise staying away from the AVA. They're just a pain. Get a late model XTVA (F revision if you can) with the W3 HHCH, a pair of 3Ks or 5Ks based on your budget, and be happy.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

tvsjr wrote:I would advise staying away from the AVA. They're just a pain. Get a late model XTVA (F revision if you can) with the W3 HHCH, a pair of 3Ks or 5Ks based on your budget, and be happy.
Minor nitpick, the HHCH for the XTVA only looks like a W3. A W3 head will not work on an XTVA. Part number for the XTVA HHCH is PLN7737
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

FireCpt809 wrote:Also you can not use a Saber in an Astro AVA as the connector has a pin to activate the Astro saber antenna switch, unless you find a very late model saber with the hole in the connector.
I've drilled System Sabers that didn't have the hole for the pin to fall into, and they worked fine. Don't see any reason why that wouldn't work with a regular Saber.
posse401
What radios do you own?: MT2000, Saber I, SP50, Spectra

Post by posse401 »

Thanks all for the responses. Its back to the drawing board.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”