Micom AME mode

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

btrains

Micom AME mode

Post by btrains »

I have recently picked up a Micom 2TS and am experimenting with the AME feature.

It seems to me AME is a transmit only option, because I've listened to AM transmissions and they are still "duck-like" since apparently the receive audio is still only SSB.

Am I correct? Does anyone have any suggestions as to receiving AM transmissions more clearly?

Thanks!
k2hz

Re: Micom AME mode

Post by k2hz »

The receiver is SSB only. The "AME" mode is H3E that is SSB with reinserted carrier that was used mainly during the transition from AM to SSB in the maritime services years ago so that the SSB signals could be received on an AM receiver. It was used for distress situations on 2182kHz to insure the message could be received on radios that did not yet have SSB capability.

It is not a normally used mode so there is no reason for the receiver to be AM capable.

An AM signal should be received if it is on frequency but will be very bassy due to the 3kHz bandwidth limitations of the SSB receiver filters. If by "donald duck" you mean the sound of an off frequency signal, the clarifier tuning function could be used to correct it.

What type of AM are you attemping to receive? If you want broadcast quality audio, you are not going to get it with the filters in a communications only receiver.
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Re: Micom AME mode

Post by loband »

We run our Micom 2/3s with USB for AM receive and TX set for AME....works great !

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”