Saber Batteries

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tim

Saber Batteries

Post by Tim »

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with batteries from 'Empire Wireless'.

I received 3 of a 'ProStar PSM-4592JH', 2700mAh Ni-MH batteries for some Astro Sabers.

Put them through our standard battery cycling regimen to establish a base line.

Only one of the batteries made it to 2700... actually, it made 2900.

The other two were at 2422 & 1434 mAh. I went through three (3) separate cycles.

They were nice about it, and sent another 2 batteries, but these are seeming to fail at about 1/2 capacity.

I did note that before charging, one battery pack had 1.7 volts on it, and the other one had 3.4 volts.

Any comments? (other than you get what you pay for) :-)

Thanks,

Tim
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: Saber Batteries

Post by N4KVE »

While I can't test for m/ah, I do have in front of me a ProStar PSM-4592JH that I purchased Feb 07, & it's still as good as new. It lasts forever, & takes a lot longer to charge than a M battery. Probably because it has a higher m/ah rating. While I don't use it on a daily basis, it actually sits more than it's used, which in my experience can be just as bad. I only use AdvanceTec chargers for my non Impress batteries. Of course if I was a cop, I wouldn't use it, but for my hobby, I'd recommend it to anybody. GARY N4KVE
Will

Post by Will »

Tim wrote:snip>
I did note that before charging, one battery pack had 1.7 volts on it, and the other one had 3.4 volts.

Any comments? (other than you get what you pay for) :-)

Thanks,

Tim

OLD stock. The open circuit voltage should not be less than 6 volts. Also it depends on how the batteries were charged, initialized the first time. I never use a rapid charger for the first charge.
MRFLASHPORT

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

Tim,

Try Batteryzone, They make a 3000 MhA battery that lasts for hours and the battery fits on the radio perfect.
MrFlashPort
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I had been buying ProStar NIMH batteries for Genesis series radio for many years and they were great up until about 2010. Since then they have consistently failed suddenly after 13-15 months of use. I have some ProStar batteries from 2007-2010 still in service that are fine but every one purchased since then has failed. These are used in the same radios and same charger. My last ProStar order was April 2011 and the last of
these batteies had failed 3 weeks ago. The older ones lasted at least 3 years in the same service.

I see problems with other aftermarket brands also. Empire Scientific used to be good quality Japanese cells and higher mAh rating than originals. I recently ordered some of the same battery and they had a new label with lower rating and Chinese cells.

I guess the only way to be safe is to order only original manufacturers batteries.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

OEM and Multiplier are the only ones that have provided good consistent results over the years as reported here on BatLabs. Someone sometimes pops up with a good report on another brand but most likely you'll see someone else reporting the opposite, just no consistency in the aftermarkets. Then there was a member years back reporting an explosion while charging a generic battery and what he thought would have turned into a house fire if he hadn't been in the area to pull the plug on it.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

RadioSouth wrote: Then there was a member years back reporting an explosion while charging a generic battery and what he thought would have turned into a house fire if he hadn't been in the area to pull the plug on it.
I believe in that case, it wasn't so much the use of a generic battery, but the use of a W&W charger. GARY
JustinMoon205
What radios do you own?: APX7000, APX7500, GP280

Post by JustinMoon205 »

W&W chargers, batteries, accessories, ANYTHING they make is cheap, low quality and USELESS.
Archbishop, Church of /\/\otorola.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”