saber desktop rapid charger

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Batman
What radios do you own?: JT1000, Spectras, CB-555, 540

saber desktop rapid charger

Post by Batman »

i have a saber desktop rapid charger. it has four lights. there is a blinking red light with a battery image with a line through it.

does this mean my brand new 2000mah nimh battery is toast?
Thank You,

Robert
Batman

Re: saber desktop rapid charger

Post by Batman »

it's an ntn4734a
Thank You,

Robert
Batman

Post by Batman »

i hope someone is left who can answer about these old chargers been so long since i messed with them. a pdf of charger manual would be great.
Thank You,

Robert
uman18
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, XTL5000 UHF/VHF

Post by uman18 »

Is it a Motorola OEM battery? I've found that aftermarket batteries do that. I have a battery that will do that when attached to the radio (radio is off) but when placed to charge without the radio it will charger no problem/
Batman

Post by Batman »

its an aftermarket 2700mah nimh
Thank You,

Robert
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

I could be wrong, but I recall that those old chargers are only single chemistry, i.e. they'll only charge Ni-Cds, not Ni-Mh.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

And the rumor is the B version will do both, but it's not confirmed. Its really not worth worrying about with the cheap tri chem NTN8831A's floating around. I just picked one up [new] for $5. GARY
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The possible differences between a 4734A and 4734B have been discussed on this Board previously,
but I don't think any valid conclusions were ever reached. It could be that the A version does only
Nicads where the B version does Nicads and Ni-MH batteries. I've always used the charger for both
versions with success, but I don't know if I was using an A or B model. In theory the charger should do
both in either version since the cell voltages are just about the same.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Hi Tom. These are [were] great chargers that have seen their day. Very well built, & rugged. A few years ago, when I bought a few Astro Sabers, the seller was including new chargers. Since I had a few, I would ask the sellers to keep the chargers, but I'd still pay the selling price. This way the seller would also save on shipping. No one has the heart to throw out something that's working great, so all the sellers still sent me the chargers with the radios. So now I have a bunch of them which I have offered for free to my local friends here, but they don't need them, & like me, are using the tri-chem charger. I even have a few STX chargers that have the Saber insert, & they work fine too. It's sad to see such well built & engineered piece of equipment become obsolete, but you can even use the tri-chem charger in the car by plugging it into a liter socket. While I still have some of the original chargers NIB, I never use them, & don't have the heart to throw them out. I can't even give them away. I hope you are well Tom. GARY
MRFLASHPORT

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

I have 2 NTN4734B Chargers, Yes, They charge Ni-MH Batteries with out any problems. I use 4 3000 mAh batteries from Batteryzone and they work great, still going strong a year
and a half later. The A version Saber chargers are well known battery burners, avoid using them!
MrFlashPort
Batman

Post by Batman »

everyone i have are 4734a, anyone able to spare two B rev units?
Thank You,

Robert
uman18
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, XTL5000 UHF/VHF

Post by uman18 »

Batman wrote:everyone i have are 4734a, anyone able to spare two B rev units?
I have several NTN8831A's for sale that will charge Saber, XTS and Jedi series battries. They are Tri-chem. $30 each shipped.
Batman

Post by Batman »

hit me up in a pm. if you will set two aside. i have two deals in the works to get me some cash and i will take a pair off of you when i get the $$$.

thanks.
Thank You,

Robert

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”