Serial # 123ABC1234

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Serial # 123ABC1234

Post by sjxts3000 »

So I'm thinking of picking up an APX 7000 from a seller and (of course) these are the demo units.
If I were thinking of using this just for myself and mostly on Analog and Digital frequencies but no encryption, what are the downsides of owning one of these radios?
Would I be able to program it with software? Or strictly FPP?
Would any OTA disablement occur?
Were these 123ABC1234 units meant to be sold to the public? (i.e. is it illegal to own one?)
Do these units have issues with being used in the field?
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Serial # 123ABC1234

Post by FireCpt809 »

Not illegal to own, just don't expect support from Motorola if it breaks.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

A lot of the generic S# radios are parts built lacking FCC certification and may or might not be properly aligned. The other issue is possessing something like this could put you under scrutiny as many jurisdictions have statutes against posessing items with removed/altered serial #'s and these lack those labels. Might be tough to convince someone that the spot that lacks the label never had one vs. being removed. Guess it depends on your comfort level, not for me but I'm sure others would disagree.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

If the radio will be used for personal, non-public-service, use you're probably okay, assuming you can get a return privilege when you buy the unit. Also, be sure you understand the complete flashcode because you never know what it is until you read and understand it. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, an APX without a serial number should reflect that fact in its selling price.

On the subject of FPP, FPP has its limitations. You need the program to change some of the radio's functions, such as scanlists, so while the FPP is convenient it's not the whole story.

As far as OTA zapping of your radio, this can only be done if your radio attempts to affiliate with a trunked system.

Great radio, and they're getting more and more reasonably priced as time passes...and, for now, you have the pleasure of owning the latest and greatest, but that's just my opinion.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

Consider a quick scenario here...

Joe the plumber leaves his "123ABC1234" serial numbered APX sitting in his truck, some lowlife steals it and Joe reports the theft to the police.

The police ask Joe if he recorded the serial number from his now missing radio and Joe says: "Yes of course, it's 123ABC1234"

Now EVERY SINGLE APX with a 123ABC1234 serial number becomes a STOLEN RADIO if you happen to be stopped by the law!

Andrew
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

because 123abc1234 sounds like a legit serial number when the cop enters it in LEADS...
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Assuming Joe the plumber knows he purchased an ABC radio, [I'm sure anyone laying out $2000+ for a radio would] he should have the brains to know to have his DL# engraved on the frame of the radio where a legit tag would go. GARY.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Unless the radio has very early beta firmware it'll act like any other APX. You can flash it with current firmware (super-easy, btw, no iButton required) and use current CPS on it.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Bigfella237 wrote:Consider a quick scenario here...

Joe the plumber leaves his "123ABC1234" serial numbered APX sitting in his truck, some lowlife steals it and Joe reports the theft to the police.

The police ask Joe if he recorded the serial number from his now missing radio and Joe says: "Yes of course, it's 123ABC1234"

Now EVERY SINGLE APX with a 123ABC1234 serial number becomes a STOLEN RADIO if you happen to be stopped by the law!

Andrew
In reality, the cop's more likely to think you're taking him for a ride, and trying to pull an insurance scam with a $2000+ item with such an obviously fake serial.
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

mr.syntrx wrote:In reality, the cop's more likely to think you're taking him for a ride, and trying to pull an insurance scam with a $2000+ item with such an obviously fake serial.
That is all beside the point, but if you want to get into semantics lets say that neither Joe nor the officer taking the report know anything whatsoever about radios, the unscrupulous person who sold Joe the radio made a fake tag with the "123ABC1234" serial number, and Joe was able to show the officer a genuine receipt of purchase displaying that serial #.

My point was that anyone else with an APX which also has a "123ABC1234" serial is now technically carrying stolen goods!

Andrew
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

OK, with all this talk about these oddball demo units with no serial #, where is a good place or source to buy a LEGIT (used, but in great condition, ideally) APX 7000? I'm looking for a UHF1/VHF unit with FPP.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Here: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103994

They're new radios, so very few "factory" examples have hit surplus channels.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Simple if stolen: Take a picture in the service mode, keep a copy of the codeplug, use radio alias with your name on it, etc.

Engraving is always good.

Either way, I have owned three APX radios from a certain source and never have had a problem and they out perform the new issued Kenwood's at work.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Record the ESN, and use that for tracking the unit.

Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

In my personal opinion a 123ABC1234 serial number equates to fishy/questionable origin. Personally I wouldn't want to drop a 4 digit sum on a radio that A. you will never be able to get support on from Moto if ever needed, B. May raise eyebrows by law enforcement re the serial number if ever under scrutiny, and C. Is of questionable origin ie ALT unit, developmental unit, etc. Just my $.02.
Joe - N6LAU
Pj

Post by Pj »

FWIW I've seen legit ABC radios purchased new from Motorola in service with a large department. Granted they were limited run radios but still not the norm.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

Pj wrote:FWIW I've seen legit ABC radios purchased new from Motorola in service with a large department. Granted they were limited run radios but still not the norm.
I believe it. The guy I bought several APX6000s from ordered all four of them direct from Motorola. They were as legit as you could get- still under factory warranty with all tags, etc. One of them had the incorrect flashcode and was a 123ABC1234 serial. A call to Motorola fixed the flashcode and serial after a ticket was opened.
Ben

Post by Ben »

It's very hard to believe Moto ever put out a radio with the 123ABC1234 serial let alone would ever service it
Pj

Post by Pj »

I'll see if there is still a pic of the radios I am talking about around with it.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Ben wrote:It's very hard to believe Moto ever put out a radio with the 123ABC1234 serial let alone would ever service it
Remember, every Moto radio starts off life this way when it gets built. It might sit for a while like this, but when it gets sold, it has the correct ser #, & flashcode that the customer wants installed. Remember, all the Panter Chinese radios were unsold radios that were in a warehouse where the sprinklers dumped water because of a small fire. They were sold as scrap when the insurance paid M, & ended up in China. Others were test radios, subject to serious abuse for testing. But either way, since they weren't sold yet, they had the 123ABC ser #. GARY
chrismoll12

Post by chrismoll12 »

Yea sume of those 123ABC radio can be real legit especially when you open it up and a pound of crud sand dirt fall out of otherwise like new radio
..but the radio is still built of many parts and with anything can be put back into proper order with work
Last edited by chrismoll12 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pj

Post by Pj »

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone been conn'ed like that (yet). The first "batch" waaaaaay back in the day of the 5000's/2500's needed to be aligned, but for years now they have been delivered within spec's.

I had one of those overseas XTS2500's on UHF that had a very nice receiver. It was picking up a UHF machine in the kitchen, behind a hill, 35+ miles away that even my XTL5000 in the truck couldn't hear (or the UHF ASTRO Saber that I tried).

For the most part, for what most people use them for - its still a steal.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”