After January 1st 2013 Narrowbanding

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KB2ZTX
was jsikora

After January 1st 2013 Narrowbanding

Post by KB2ZTX »

From what I have read after january 1st manufacturers will no longer to build radios that can work on wideband. Our SAR team uses both public safety, marine and amateur channels. IF this is indeed the case this means using a single radio, may now require multiple radios. I know of many command posts and support vehicles that counties have that have radios as such for RACES/EMO/ARES/CERT and other agencies that do the same. I fully understand the narrowband update and our team is actively reprogramming, replacing and setting up radios to meet the mandate. This topic came to light as I was building templates for all our radios.

Has anyone else thought of how to do this in the future ?
KB2ZTX
mr.syntrx

Re: After January 1st 2013 Narrowbanding

Post by mr.syntrx »

Varies from radio to radio.

Some such as the APX will only block wideband on Part 90 frequencies (so amateur, marine, GMRS etc still work as normal), whereas others (most notably MOTOTRBO) need a CPS license key to enable wideband operation.
CircleBat

Post by CircleBat »

wait till you see your recieve sensitivity decrease on narrow band.. but that is the future... Motorola is already started that route with the XPR7550
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Entitlement IDs will be available for all current CPS versions shortly after the first of the year, according to Motorola. If you have a current subscription there is a form to fill out.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

CircleBat wrote:wait till you see your recieve sensitivity decrease on narrow band.. but that is the future... Motorola is already started that route with the XPR7550
We had that when we went from 15kc to 5 kc too.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”