2013 rules change licensing ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jhooten

2013 rules change licensing ?

Post by jhooten »

Someone who deals with the narrow banding requirements please take a look at WNBA350 and tell me what you would advise them it they were your client. I'm not even going to go into the antique Motorola radios they think they are going to get reprogrammed to be compliant yet.

Thanks.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: 2013 rules change licensing ?

Post by FireCpt809 »

They have more or less a week to get their act together...
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

Pray that they have their FRN and associated password so that they can file the necessary emission mods online! It may be too late to file a written application and save their license.
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

"We don't need to do a modification because we only have portables."
What about the two 25 watt radios in race control licensed as FBT and FBI?
"They don't count because they don't have a permanent tower."

The FRN/password holder passed away 8 years ago. So yep they are pretty much screwed. But my hands are clean. I told them two years ago it needed to be done and got laughed at.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

You can request a password reset at: https://esupport.fcc.gov/password.htm
You can call FCC for a password reset at: 877-480-3201 and choose Option #1.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

jhooten wrote:"We don't need to do a modification because we only have portables."
What about the two 25 watt radios in race control licensed as FBT and FBI?
"They don't count because they don't have a permanent tower."

The FRN/password holder passed away 8 years ago. So yep they are pretty much screwed. But my hands are clean. I told them two years ago it needed to be done and got laughed at.
I hate to say this, but maybe they need to learn this lesson the hard way. Let them loose their license and find out how much it is going to cost to apply for a new license from scratch including coordination fees. I have a hospital here that just had to spend $1,600 to get a new license for the ambulance to hospital channel because they forgot to pay the renewal fee a while back. To their credit however, had the license not been expired, they would have filed the emission mod as recommended. I explained the entire situation to them and put them in touch with a coordinator who also does licensing services. They now have an STA and will be OK. And the failure to pay the renewal fee happened long before I came along.

If you are in a position of responsibility to this organization, you might want to give them a letter summarizing your position and quoting some of their rationale back to them. Then when their license gets automatically cancelled by the FCC because they didn't modify, you can hold that letter up and remind them that you tried to do the right thing.

One other observation: I suspect that coordinators and licensing services won't be offering any discounts to those who loose their licenses because of failure to add NB emissions. This might just be one heck of a cash cow for them.
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

It sounds to me after the last e-mail exchanges that someone has a BIL in a radio shop somewhere that is "advising" him so I'm now officially shutting up and let them learn the hard way.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

JH,

I think you're doing the right thing to let them be. There are a certain number of residual idiots on the planet who are incapable of taking good advice. Let them find out the hard way that the FCC, as with any Federal agency, can come down hard on you if you cross them, especially when you've had years to comply with a mandate.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Hang on to what documentation you have with them. When they try to throw you under the bus when the FCC come calling. You can have all you need to back up your "I told you so..."
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

I've still got licenses that have been sent to be narrowed pending and thats been since August 20th. Good grief.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”