Vintage equipment ID help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firedog359
What radios do you own?: MA/COM KMC-300,ICOM F50V

Vintage equipment ID help

Post by firedog359 »

Hello everyone,I am new to the forums so please bear with me.I am a Firefighter/EMT and my hobby is collecting and displaying vintage public safety equipment.I mainly have sirens and lights but I'm starting to collect vintage Motorola radio equipment.I recently picked up a nice N1244A Convertacom with an MX360 VHF handheld installed and the N1254A RF amp and a nice vintage MODCOM dispatch console.along with those I picked up a couple of desktop units that I have no clue as to what they are.ther are no model numbers anywhere on them.i will try to describe them as best i can.They are in Tan plastic cases about 16" long,6" high and deep.The front controls are as follows,On the bottom left is a rotary knob selector marked Off and F1 through F5 with the word"SINGLETONE"embossed below.about half way across the bottom is two square pushbutton switches.One is marked " F1/F2" and the other is "Intercom".on the bottom right is two rotary selector knobs marked "on-off" and "volume"On the top left is a rotary wheel clock with hour,min and sec wheels.on the top left edge is the word MOTOROLA with what appears to be rectangular red and green lights at each end.there is a desk mic and a DC audio line wire connected to it.The units have a 110v line cord.Any help identifing these units would be greatly appreciated.Thanks and I look forward to your replies.
eleet

Re: Vintage equipment ID help

Post by eleet »

Hey, I've seen a few base/console units and while I haven't been that close to one that old, the ones I have seen from the 80's and later had a radio inside that's pretty common, like a syntor, maxtrac, or spectra. So, see what's under the lid. A radio inside might look familiar or have a model number on it.

The syntor console I got a look at had an X9000 head mounted in the front of it. So, try looking at control heads for old mobiles too, you might see one with the same style of tone and mode select.
Will

Post by Will »

Sounds like a T1300 remote DC control console.
firedog359

Post by firedog359 »

When I pulled the chassis from the case there was no radio inside and no model numbers.I found a few part numbers on the boaards but nothing else.I did some research on the T1300 but what I read indicated that it was a modified telephone housing.this is not that.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The console version of the 1300 series remotes includes the T1336,1367 and T-1390 series.
All match the physical description of what you have. The general 1300 series also included the telephone type units.

The consoles have a speaker with power and volume knobs beneath it on the right.
There is a green power and red tx indicator above the speaker.
There is a row of function buttons across the bottom starting on the left.
Above the function buttons is an optional clock and VU meter and sometimes additional function buttons.
d119

Post by d119 »

Pictures, please.
firedog359

Post by firedog359 »

Sorry it took so long on this.I hope this link works.
http://imageshack.us/a/img694/1439/imgp0587i.jpg
impalass427

Post by impalass427 »

It looks like a remote control for a Motrac base station. The same control front panel is also used on a table top "Compa-station" late 60's- early 70s vintage.
mruwave

Post by mruwave »

Thats a roll of aluminum foil, with a beige thingy on top of it! No, really it is, indeed, one of the old Motorola 'consolette' control systems. I worked on a lot of these in the 70's. They typically are either DC Line outputs or multiconductor outputs that connect them to the base radio. Look for a board with controls marked F1 DC, F2 DC, etc. If you find them, you have a DC remote and will need a DC Line interface to make use of the consolette. They aren't really complicated to make. Finding a vintage one may be a problem. If you don't find a DC board, you'll just need a 7 (minimum) conductor cable to connect it to a Compa-base radio. Each frequency of operation would require an additional conductor in the cable.
I'll look when I get home tonight and see if I have a consolette manual.
- Jim
Will

Post by Will »

d119 wrote:Pictures, please.

This is way before your time!

How about a photo of the insides. As posted several combinations were used over the years.
firedog359

Post by firedog359 »

i hope the photos loaded correctly:
http://imageshack.us/a/img853/3922/imgp0593f.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img16/5458/imgp0595a.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img255/6215/imgp0594n.jpg
there is a 25 screw terminal board on the back.there are 5 paired sets marked DC audio line +/-,DC Line +/-,Secondary Line +/-,12 V DC +/-,SUPV'Y Control +/-.There are 5 terminals for the desk mic,2 SP terminals,1 "PL"DIS,1"QUIK CALL,and a few marked 3.2u.
d119

Post by d119 »

Will wrote:
d119 wrote:Pictures, please.
This is way before your time!

How about a photo of the insides. As posted several combinations were used over the years.
*sigh*

Assumptions.

It is very before my time, Will. But that doesn't mean I don't know what it is, and it doesn't mean I haven't worked on one before.

You'd be surprised the things I've dealt with. My first repeater was an all-tube GE Progress Line on UHF. :)
Will

Post by Will »

That IS a T13xx series DC Remote Control Console. It also has a line operated TX indicator, probably used on the same line as another remote.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

Will wrote:That IS a T13xx series DC Remote Control Console. It also has a line operated TX indicator, probably used on the same line as another remote.
From the circuit boards shown it is probably a T1398AM 2 frequency DC remote for a PL base station.

The Line Current board supports reverse line current for PL disable (monitor). Its standard functions are +5.5mA TX F1, +12.5mA TX F2, -2.5mA PL disable. The board is also capable of -5.5mA for "Mute RX2".

The TLN4271A is a single tone encoder board associated with the front panel rotary switch. It provides a tone burst at the begining of each transmission. This is a feature I never saw in use and I am not sure of the application. The manual says it is for "base to mobile selective calling or remote switching functions for control of standby equipment".
Will

Post by Will »

k2hz wrote: The TLN4271A is a single tone encoder board associated with the front panel rotary switch. It provides a tone burst at the beginning of each transmission. This is a feature I never saw in use and I am not sure of the application. The manual says it is for "base to mobile selective calling or remote switching functions for control of standby equipment".
Most likely the Single Tone was used to access different repeaters before we had multi PL in our radios.

Single Tone AKA Cheep beep... a simple way to access different base stations or repeaters.
firedog359

Post by firedog359 »

i want to thank all of you so much for the info on this.It truly amazes me at the level of knowlwdge and expertise all of you have.i believe I understand the single tone setup.This would allow one base station to control seperate repeaters,each on the same TX/RX freq set but with seperate PL"S or seperate base stations that required a tone burst in addition to the DC current to key up.Is this correct ?
firedog359

Post by firedog359 »

This is followup to a pending post.I did a little more research on single tone burst and discovered my understanding of its use was a little off.STB is the forerunner of CTCSS.Instead of a sub audible PL tone transmitted with the carrier to break squelch,a single tone burst would be transmitted at the beginning of each transmission and whatever group of radios was being called (Fire,rescue,PD,etc)would detect and decode the burst and if the freq.matched,it would break squelch.And as Will stated,it was also used to access different repeaters.This system must still be in use as I found a few companies,such as NorComm,making STB Encoder,Decoder and notch filter boards.
firedog359

Post by firedog359 »

Question,should I post questions about a MODCOM dispatch comsole in this thread or should I start a new thread ? Thanks
Will

Post by Will »

firedog359 wrote:Question,should I post questions about a MODCOM dispatch comsole in this thread or should I start a new thread ? Thanks

Please start a NEW post. TKS

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”