XTL Relay Trigger

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Bizkitjmd1
What radios do you own?: nothing analog

XTL Relay Trigger

Post by Bizkitjmd1 »

I have a XTL5000 and I want to trigger a relay to turn on the lights in my car. I was told that I could use the VIP outputs on the radio. I programmed the emergency button to the horn/light output and programmed VIP1 out for Horn and I have nothing. Any body have any ideas?
Jim202

Re: XTL Relay Trigger

Post by Jim202 »

Bizkitjmd1 wrote:I have a XTL5000 and I want to trigger a relay to turn on the lights in my car. I was told that I could use the VIP outputs on the radio. I programmed the emergency button to the horn/light output and programmed VIP1 out for Horn and I have nothing. Any body have any ideas?

I could be wrong, but I believe that the VIP output are collector outputs that pull to ground. You need to supply an external low current relay that has one side tied to +12 volts. The other side of the relay goes to the VIP output your dealing with.

Bear in mind that these VIP output controls are current limited to something like a max of 200 ma of current.

Jim
Bizkitjmd1
What radios do you own?: nothing analog

Post by Bizkitjmd1 »

Jim202 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I believe that the VIP output are collector outputs that pull to ground. You need to supply an external low current relay that has one side tied to +12 volts. The other side of the relay goes to the VIP output your dealing with.

Bear in mind that these VIP output controls are current limited to something like a max of 200 ma of current.

Jim
Yeah, I took my meter and set to continuity and went from the accessory connector ground to the vip1 out and got nothing when I trigger the output. I guess back to the drawing board.
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

The "Horn/Light" button only arms the VIP output. The horn output is then only activated upon a call alert or page being received by the radio. I belive that the horn output pulses at this point. It's intended purpose is to signal the user that they are being called, as long as they are close enough to hear the cars horn.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Bizkitjmd1 wrote:
Jim202 wrote:

Jim
Yeah, I took my meter and set to continuity and went from the accessory connector ground to the vip1 out and got nothing when I trigger the output. I guess back to the drawing board.

Your not going to see any continuity with the meter. You need to put like a 12 volt light bulb from +12 volts to the VIP-1 output pin 18 or VIP-2, pin 19 on the 05 control head accessory connector. Then when the output pin is triggered, it will pull that pin to ground and the bulb will light.

You also need to figure out the correct software programming to make the output VIP pin function. That might be the hardest of it all to make work.

Jim
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

When you say activating the lights....what do you mean exactly?

Are we talking about warning lights you installed on the vehicle or are you talking about flashing the headlights when a page or something is received.

You can do the 2nd one but your not going to be able to do the first one.

Jason

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”