Motorola BMS / IQ5 Dipswitch Settings????

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Motorola BMS / IQ5 Dipswitch Settings????

Post by kb0nly »

Does anyone know the settings for the little voltage select dipswitches on the Motorola BMS Itech IQ5 conditioner/analyzer adapter boards?

More specifically they BA2016 they have for it has a pair of leads coming out of the top plate so you can manufacture whatever connections you need to a battery pack, but i can't find the info anywhere online showing how to set the four dip switches for the charging voltage, 4.8-14.4v.

The adapter cups usually just have diodes, D3-D6, installed on that connector card for whatever voltage that cup should have. I have a few cups but i can't come up with the right combination to get the universal adapter to work right, i want to charge some 4.8v and 9.6v packs with it.

I tried going through the manual, no info on voltage selection. I google searched for hours now, no info.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
kb0nly

Re: Motorola BMS / IQ5 Dipswitch Settings????

Post by kb0nly »

It looks like Motorola calls it the TDN9527A dip switch adapter. Again, can't find the settings anywhere.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

VE3HKB
New User

Post by VE3HKB »

Motorola originally sourced the BMS units (3 and 6-station) as well as the adapters from a company called HME, now iTECH.
They still list the adapters on their website (http://www.itecheng.com), so you should try their tech support first.

There were two universal adapters:
Motorola P/N iTECH P/N Description
TDN9432A BA2013 ROTARY SWITCH, CLIP LEAD, UNIVERSAL
TDN9527A BA2016 UNIVERSAL, INTERFACE-DIP SWITCH

About 10 years ago I had found a DIP switch version, but no instructions for it.
The BMS manual didn't show anything either.
I compared it with a friend's rotary version and was surprised to find they were the same board, with the only difference being the 4 position DIP switch (SW1). The one I have is labelled "P/N 181239 REV B" and "HME (c)".

While I can't tell you 100% for sure what the DIP switch positions are, I can tell you how to make it into the rotary switch version. You should be able to work backwards for DIP switch settings.

At the end opposite the connector, there should be five eyelets between the word "SYSTEM" and "CONNECTOR". In the rotary version these connect to a 16 position BCD encoded rotary switch (in mine this is a Grayhill 26ASD22-01-1-AJS).
The 4 contacts on the rotary switch connect to the same lines as the DIP switch, so the logic should be the same.
If yours is the same as mine, then the DIP switch closest to the "SW1" would be the "1", followed by 2, 4 and 8.
This is the truth table I recorded way back (X = closure to common).

Voltage BCD Logic
8 4 2 1
3.6V 0 0 X X * NOTE the 3.6V setting does not work on the 3-station unit, only the 6-station; the BMS Plus
4.8V 0 X 0 X
6.0 0 X X 0
7.2 0 X X 0
8.4 0 X X X
9.6 X 0 0 0
10.8 X 0 0 X
12.0 X 0 X 0
13.2 X 0 X X
14.4 X X 0 0

Again, give iTECH a call first to see if you can get the instructions for the BA2016. If they won't share, try the above.
If your are successfull, and want to convert to a rotary switch version, I have a nice label for it.

Please note that the universal adapters do not support the thermistor usually found in most NiMH battery packs. End of charge will be by voltage alone, and not temperature rise. If you want to utilize the thermistor function, you will have to buy the specific cup/adapter or modify one of the non-universal versions.

Howard
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Interesting!! Thank you for the info i will sit down with the board here this evening and work with it. I should be able to work back to the dip switch version from your notes, most appreciated!
Last edited by kb0nly on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Al

Post by Al »

I have a couple of BA2016s. The dip switch settings are packed with the adapter on a small 4X3 inch sheet. Here they are:
3 cells, 3.6V(IQ5 and later models) sw1 through 4 = on
4 cells, 4.8V, sw2=on, 1, 3&4=off
5 cells, 6.0V, sw1&3=off, sw2&4=on
6 cells, 7.2, 7.5V, sw1 through 4=off
7 cells, 8.4V, sw1=off, 2 through 4=on
8 cells, 9.6, 10.0V, sw1=on, 2 through 4=off
9 cells, 10.8, 11.0V, sw1 & 4=on, 2&3=off
10 cells, 12.0V, sw1 & 3=on, 2 & 4=off
11 cells, 13.2V, sw1, 3, and 4 = on, sw2=off
12 cells, 14.4, 15.0V, sw1 & 2 = on, sw 3 & 4=off
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Awesome that seems to match a couple of the adapters that i have, i didnt know which switch was one and which was four but i think i got it now. I tried contacting Itech and couldnt get through to them by phone or by email!

kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Al,

That was the ticket!! Finally i can run some other packs through. I had a fully charged 4.8v pack and after setting the jumpers and connecting it the IQ5 sat for a few mins then said ready, so it sensed this time its fully charged and the correct voltage setting.

VE3HKB,

That doesn't seem to match mine what you posted, for example the 7.2 setting all four positions should be open, for some reason on yours two positions are closed?

Either way, thanks guys! Now i finally got it working. Man the documentation on this unit is scarce... Time to put it up on RBTIP i think.

Al

Post by Al »

The dip switch numbering is labeled on the switch body on my units. IIRC is 1 through 4 left to right with dip switch "up" and nearest your body when you hold the adapter.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

You are correct... SW1 is the front switch when the board is plugged into the charger.

VE3HKB
New User

Post by VE3HKB »

Al:

I dug out my original handwritten notes where I had noted the wire colors, switch connections, even the position of the stop pins in the encoder. I had even checked the continuity of each position with a meter.
The truth table seemed to follow a logical order, so I never questioned it, and the unit has functioned well for many years. I'm convinced that it is correct, however...

I pulled out the all of the (original Motorola) adapters I have and examined the diode placement of each (used instead of switches). One was a reworked board with no diodes and the traces cut (but still original Motorola).

I recorded everything in an Excel spreadsheet and compared it to your records.
What I found is that all but the 3.6 and 7.2V settings match exactly if I reverse the order of the switches. On my rotary board, what I call S1 (the 1s output) is connected to D3 (2s=D4. 4s=D5 and 8=D6). My board has SW1 printed on it, but with no DIP switch present, I can't tell where S1 was located.
I'll bet on yours that S1 of SW1 is connected to D6 (and S2=D5, S3=D4 and S4=D3).
Please check on your board to see if this assumption is correct.

I'll further guess that the BMS firmware will allow both mine and yours to correctly select 7.5V. That's a pretty common voltage, and perhaps an even earlier version was designed for only that voltage with no switches or diodes present.

(On my unit, selecting 3.6V results in the display reading 26.3V, but that setting isn't supported anyway.)

If this matches, then any board can modified for any voltage (provided the BMS model supports it).

Howard
VE3HKB
New User

Post by VE3HKB »

Just thinking out loud - do you think it would be appropriate for a moderator to move this thread to the Test Equipment discussion?

Howard
mogman

Post by mogman »

I know this is an old thread, but if possible I would like a detailed picture of the board, I have several "blank" boards that are for 7.2V and would like to populate it with the necessary components to build a "universal" board.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”