Tone Remote

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tvining

Tone Remote

Post by tvining »

I have an XTL 5000.

I am trying to tone remote the unit.

I have the DIP switches set for 4 wire, and am using pins 3/11 for Receive and 1/16 for TRANS. on Accessory 2

I can receive on the radio, but can't transmit and I can't use any tone functions.

Wrong pins for XMIT?
tvining

Re: Tone Remote

Post by tvining »

Do i use ptt somewhwere? Its 4 wire config, do I need 5-6 wires?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Sounds like you neglected to change the AUX_PTT type in the codeplug.

As far as the tone functions, you won't be using any tone functions on an XTL5000 unless it's a consolette with the tone remote option installed.
tvining

Post by tvining »

Yes, its a consolette.

How do I set the aux_ptt? Does it then get the ptt from audio?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

If it's a consolette then I don't think there are any changes that need to be made to the codeplug, in this case. You are one of the few trying to make this interface with an actual consolette.

Paging D119...
tvining

Post by tvining »

Thanks for the help!
Maybe short pin 10 with TX-, thus grounding pin 10?

Do they make a pigtail cable for this?
jpa

Post by jpa »

It looks like you might have your TX/RX pairs reversed. According to the consolette manual:

Accy 2 4-wire Pin function
1 - RX+ (LINE 1+)
16 - RX- (LINE 1-)
3 - TX+ (LINE 2+)
11 - TX- (LINE 2-)

Check the impedance settings - S101 4 & 5 - should default to 600 ohm

Check that TRC operation is set - S100 3 - should default to this option

Check your TRC tone table settings - S100 5-8. Make sure that the tones being sent by whatever TRC you have hooked up to the consolette match this, including HLGT, function tone, LLGT.

Check your levels and verify that the tones are actually making it to the Accy2 connector - a TIMS will help with both of these.

Proper TRC operation does not require any other pins or wires to be used
tvining

Post by tvining »

I have 3 consolettes in front of me, and can find S101- set correctly.

I don't even see S100 on any of the 3 boards (2 different styles).

??
tvining

Post by tvining »

Another Motorola Rep just said the board I have is only capable of digital tones, and I'm sending analog tones....
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I think you need to post photos of the boards you are using and the part numbers.

There are two type of these consolettes:

1) Digital Control
2) Tone Control

You can not use #1 for #2 or vice versa. Since you can not find the jumpers/switches I think you need to take some photos and post the part numbers of what you have so that people can help you out.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
talviar

Post by talviar »

tvining wrote:I have 3 consolettes in front of me, and can find S101- set correctly.

I don't even see S100 on any of the 3 boards (2 different styles).

??
S100 is under an RF Shield on the Tone Remote Control Board that needs removed. . . .

And an easy way to determine whether you have Analog control or digital control is . . . . Does your consolette have a Display/control head buttons on it? If yes you are analog control, if NO most likely digital control.

Also, there is an option in the CPS that has to be checkmarked for tone control to work --TRC Option (appears on Radio Wide-Advanced II Tab) needs checked
Not always set when the radio ships . . . Out of 5 consolettes here. . . 3 had it checked, 2 didn't. . . .

As always this is my $2.25 and YMMV!
d119

Post by d119 »

escomm wrote:If it's a consolette then I don't think there are any changes that need to be made to the codeplug, in this case. You are one of the few trying to make this interface with an actual consolette.

Paging D119...
Yes yes present and accounted for.

Can we please get part numbers for the board underneath the radio inside the consolette?
tvining

Post by tvining »

My apologies for seemingly abandoning this post. I've been in and out.

The board I want to use is a 1688A.

I wired it as a 6 wire, non tone (TX Audio, RX Audio, and PTT), and now i give it a good solid key (CLOSED) and the radio pulses about 1cps. key, off, key, off, key, off.
sean7969
New User

Post by sean7969 »

can the accessory 1 (rj45) be used for trc? nowhere in the book can it be found, if so whats the pinout
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

sean7969 wrote:can the accessory 1 (rj45) be used for trc? nowhere in the book can it be found, if so whats the pinout

The accessory connector # 2 is the place to make your interface to. The posts before mine already indicate which pins to use.

Bear in mind that you need to have the output levels from what ever your using for a console at the correct levels. A simple way to measure the levels is to just key the tone remote console and have no audio. The low level guard tone (2175 Hz.) should be in the order of a negative 25 to 32 db as measured with a TIMS unit. This gets all the other tone levels to fall into place.

If your level is too low, you won't have reliable keying and your TX audio will probably be low. If you go higher, you could have problems with the radio not understanding which function tone your sending and not key up or be on the wrong channel. Plus the high audio level will produce distorted TX audio.

A last comment that has already been mentioned, if you can key the radio but have no TX audio, then you will need to go into the radio software and make a change on the source of the aux mic source. There is only 2 selections, so you have a 50% chance of it being set correctly.

If you have access to the MOL site, you can go into the manual section and download the XTL5000 consolette installation manual 6881098C21-P that has all this information in it. The manual is not that big, 3.2 megs that it can be emailed to you as a last resort.

If you do need to make a change to the radio software, don't forget to read the radio first and save the codeplug before making any changes. That way if you mess up, you can go back and read the saved codeplug and restore the radio to the way it was.

Jim
d119

Post by d119 »

sean7969 wrote:can the accessory 1 (rj45) be used for trc? nowhere in the book can it be found, if so whats the pinout
The answer to the question is no. ACCY 1 is for ACIM data connections to a dispatch console for digital mode interfacing.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”