Saber III - 8KHz off frequency

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

Saber III - 8KHz off frequency

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I have a UHF Saber III which is about 8KHz off frequency on TX. Its also way off on RX.

I have other UHF Motorola radios which have been around 3 KHz off frequency and I have been able to warp the ref frequency to get them spot on. But 8 KHz seems a long way off frequency.

Does 8 KHz off frequency suggest a problem?

Maybe its dirty contacts/thru pins like with the GM300?

Or is it just the ref crystal which needs warping back on frequency?

Any views?

Thanks
g8tzl2004

Re: Saber III - 8KHz off frequency

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Any thoughts?

Is 8 Khz off frequency on a UHF Saber III more than just normal ref crystal drift?
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Did you try swapping out the ref osc with one from one of your other sabers?
Dave
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Not yet - I was thinking of using it as a donar radio - I have already removed the positive terminal to use on another radio but I've now found an old Saber case I was once given so I can use the positive terminal off that - so I'm thinking whether I can get the 8KHz off frequency radio operational.

8 KHz of frequency seems like too much...although 2.7KHz off freq at VHF is the same as 8 KHz at UHF...so maybe I can warp it back onto freq???

How easy is it to remove the ref osc module?

Can I also easily remove the PA module?

Thanks
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

All the parts on the saber series are plug in modules. Some have screws holding them in, some don't.
Dave
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thanks

Is 8 KHz off freq a fault or just due to crystal drift which can be re-warped back onto freq?
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

You can't adjust the reference oscillator that much, an error of this magnitude is NOT correctable by software, you will probably need to replace the oscillator.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I still have a drawer of reference oscillators. PM me your address and I will send you a couple.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”