GR1225 Is It Really 100% Duty at 25 Watts?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

GR1225 Is It Really 100% Duty at 25 Watts?

Post by Birken Vogt »

We have a VHF 1225 repeater on the shelf getting ready to go into service as a repeater. It would be nice for us if it could do continuous duty at 25w but I want to know if it will burn up if we try this. Another user in the vault has his UHF untis set up on their sides with little computer fans blowing across the heat sinks. I don't know what power level they are running or if this is really necessary so that is why I am asking you guys. (When it all comes down it will not run 100% for a long time in the future but it might run for some minutes during a yak-fest now.) The radio just looks so small to be continuous.
Bill_G

Re: GR1225 Is It Really 100% Duty at 25 Watts?

Post by Bill_G »

That series is *not* continuous duty xmit. It will run cooler and last longer at 25W, but you can still burn it down by talking too long.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It's true, despite the Motorola claims, the GR1225 won't last at 100% duty cycle even at 25 watts. However, the majority of the time, it's the solder on the final PA transistor that dries out from the constant heat & gives up, not the transistor itself...it's likely rated for 100% duty at that power level. If you remove all the existing solder & reflow with high temp silver solder, it will last much longer. An extra fan across the heatsink, and you'll be in business for quite some time.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
KX5MOT
was JonboyOK
What radios do you own?: Motorola Talkabout 250

Post by KX5MOT »

I have a 10 watt UHF version, just curious how well they last?
"Archers."
"I beg pardon, sire. Won't we hit our own troops?"
"Yes....but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves....attack"
Will

Post by Will »

The big problem with the GR1225 is getting enough air blowing past the heatsink. The GR housing is not really made with air flow in mind.

The R1225 repeaters we have have just the R1225 radio vertically mounted with the heatsink up and the front down AND a fan blowing across the heatsink on a flat rack panel. In this configuration the hot air rises away from the heatsink. Takes up more space tho. But there is no controls or other stuff in the way power supply is on the other side of the rack panel with the duplexer.

Look into the better German fans at frozencpu.com.
Will

Post by Will »

JonboyOK wrote:I have a 10 watt UHF version, just curious how well they last?
The 10-12 watt do much better as there is less heat dissipated in the heatsink. Also the heatsink is smaller, no extended fins like the 45 watt versions.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”