Unable to upgrade firmware

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

drwyse570
New User

Unable to upgrade firmware

Post by drwyse570 »

I have an HT1250 that I've been trying to upgrade the firmware on for sometime now. It is an older radio with firmware 1 in it. I have a Motorola rib box, rib cable, and genuine flash adapter. I've tried using the latest firmware tool, but it tells me that there is a checksum error when it first tries to read it. I've tried to stager the upgrade, but the firmware loaders either tell me that the radio isn't in bootstrap mode (even though it is) or it gives me an FL0 error. What is the problem?
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Unable to upgrade firmware

Post by DJP126 »

drwyse570 wrote:I have an HT1250 that I've been trying to upgrade the firmware on for sometime now. It is an older radio with firmware 1 in it. I have a Motorola rib box, rib cable, and genuine flash adapter. I've tried using the latest firmware tool, but it tells me that there is a checksum error when it first tries to read it. I've tried to stager the upgrade, but the firmware loaders either tell me that the radio isn't in bootstrap mode (even though it is) or it gives me an FL0 error. What is the problem?
Do you have a RIB or SmartRIB? The RIB is used for programming and service, for upgrading firmware you need a SmartRIB.
Dave
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Didn't the WARIS line also require you to step the firmwares up? I vaguely recall 1 to 2...then 2 and later was fine...
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Correct. With the Waris series, V1 firmware needs to initially be stepped up to V2. From V2 it can be jumped to any later version.

You do not need a Smart RIB to upgrade firmware on the Waris series, just the dongle to ground the bootstrap line. It is nothing more than an adapter that allows you to switch the grounding. You can easily build it yourself if you do not want to buy /\/\'s version.

One trick that has saved a few radios for me- If you have another radio, of the exact same model as the corrupted one, and with a firmware version older than the one you want to flash, you can frequently revive a corrupted radio by letting the firmware tool read the working radio to determine compatibility. Once it tells you to put the radio into bootstrap mode, switch radios and try to write the firmware image into the corrupted one. If it works, plan on a full retuning of the radio afterwards. Of course, try at your own risk. It is possible to make more of a brick although, at the point you are inclined to try that trick, you are probably already at the point of a Depot trip.
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”