Notch duplexer question re power loss

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

respondernz
New User

Notch duplexer question re power loss

Post by respondernz »

I'm putting in around 40watts into the notch duplexer and getting a miserable 20watts out of it. I have very little knowledge of notch duplexers. It does seem to be tuned when I test it using sig gen and H/H signal meter. I'm not sure why, probably something simple?? What is an acceptable loss?? Freq Repeater Tx 151.3250 Rx 155.50625. Any ideas greatly received.

Thanks
Bill_G

Re: Notch duplexer question re power loss

Post by Bill_G »

2db (drop approx one third) is not unusual. 3db (drop one half) seems a bit tall. Research the model of duplexer you have. A 4Mhz split may be acceptable, or maybe not.
d119

Post by d119 »

respondernz wrote:I'm putting in around 40watts into the notch duplexer and getting a miserable 20watts out of it. I have very little knowledge of notch duplexers. It does seem to be tuned when I test it using sig gen and H/H signal meter. I'm not sure why, probably something simple?? What is an acceptable loss?? Freq Repeater Tx 151.3250 Rx 155.50625. Any ideas greatly received.

Thanks
Agreeing with Bill as always, but the equipment you are using to look at the tuning is also unacceptable. To get a real picture of what's going on, you need to look at it on a tracking generator.
p1350m
New User
What radios do you own?: Tait, Quantar

Post by p1350m »

What is the brand of the duplexer? Some of the cheap notch duplexers out there aren't the best performers. Do you have a picture of it?
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

If it is a compact VHF notch duplexer it is below the minimum split.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

since you admit to operating the duplexer at below the minimum split, you are losing any separation of TX and RX, allowing one to cause desense to the other, I.E..TX into RX side.
I doubt you can clean this up unless you place a band pass cavity on the RX side to assist in notching out the transmitter.

When using 'mobile' duplexers, every dB of isolation is necessary, as you have almost no leeway. Even minor sideband noise can degrade those duplexers, including noisy transmitters with improper tuning/alignment.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”