XTL-5000 VHF questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiocat37

XTL-5000 VHF questions

Post by radiocat37 »

I have recently acquired a brand new XTL-5000 non-P25 VHF 110W radio (M20KTS9PW1AN) with O5 control head and many accessories. It also shows on the box the accessory codes. I have never programmed one of these but have the Astro 15.00 CPS.

What computer (OS) will work for this and also what cable does one recommend? I have most computers from WIN-95 through Windows-8. I normally use a serial port computer for programming but this may require a USB cable and need something that is reliable. Some of the option codes read:

G159AM Encryption UCM hardware, G625AH XL/DES-OFB Encryption(I have no idea what OFB is....what is that?)

W109CS mobile handset with cradle (This has a 6 pin connector and I cannot find an adapter plug for the hand set cable into the control head. How does one make this handset work with an O5 head?

Any other info appreciated on this radio. It was a recent purchase from a state agency that went to the statewide VIPER 800 MHz system in NC. The whole radio set up is new in original box.
Brian Griffin: Ah, if my memory serves me, this is the physics department.
Chris Griffin: That would explain all the gravity.

Lois: Peter, you're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking.
Bigfella237

Re: XTL-5000 VHF questions

Post by Bigfella237 »

radiocat37 wrote: ~ Some of the option codes read:

G159AM Encryption UCM hardware, G625AH XL/DES-OFB Encryption(I have no idea what OFB is....what is that?) ~
OFB is the acronym for Output Feedback, which is a "mode" that allows a block cipher (such as DES) to generate an output "stream" without having to input a stream, it's used for P25 digital, which you say your radio isn't flashed for so it's a moot point anyway!

Andrew
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

000001-002000-5 is flash code

H35/G48 Conventional Operation
Q241 ASTRO Ready (Analog Operation ONLY)

KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

The CPS will work fine on XP or 7. Not sure about 8 yet, though. You can use either a USB or serial cable, your choice as they're both available OEM.
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

Couple more questions:

What would this radio and accessory set cost new? It also has the siren package and all cables...but oddly enough no mounting plate. Am looking to buy one if anyone has one available

Is this upgradable to P25 for a reasonable cost??

Thanks

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

Yes it is upgradeable to P25, XTL hardware is the same regardless of the model or options (except for control heads), as for "a reasonable cost", well, that depends on your definition of reasonable I guess. :o

The 'official' answer is that you'll need to contact a Motorola dealer (such as "escomm" (Jeff) on this board) and purchase the necessary options, there are always other ways around this of course but they can't be discussed here.

Andrew
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You can make your own serial programming cable. Unfortunately Bat Labs has not had much updated information on the newer radios.

being a 100 watt radio, you will have to use the DB-25 connector on the front of the radio to program it with. Your other option is to purchase one of the USB to mic connector programming cables. The price will depend on where you obtain it from.

Programming the radio is not that hard. i would suggest that you sit back and try to lay out how you want to set the radio up. Depending on the firmware version in the radio, you may or may not have all the channel ability that the current spec sheets say you can have.

I have a couple of these on VHF and have maxed them out as far as zones go. My limit is 50 zones with about 10 to 15 channels in each zone. As I do travel frequently between southern New Hampshire and the new Orleans area, there are a bunch of ham repeaters that are available over that distance.

The 05 control head does allow 2 lines of information to be displayed. The top line is the zone and the lower line is the channel. Been some time since I was programming them, but think you can have either 12 or 14 characters for each line.

Some of the features are located in strange places. Like there is a box you need to check in order to be allowed to have simplex and TX tone squelch functional. Have to go hunting for it each time I do a new radio. You just can't remember all the little Motorola screw ups in the way their 2 year old's did the software for these radios. It defies logic and normal reasoning.

You do have the ability to set the buttons below the display to do different things. I use one for zones, another for TX power out, another for direct TX, another for deleting a channel in scan that is talking too much, another for setting the squelch (you need to find the secret location for the check box of this function), set the color of the display and the list goes on. The 4 way rocker switch on the right below the channel knob is also used to step the button selectors to those selections that are off the regular display.

There are a number of time out timer selections that you can set and select to use. The zone is where you set the zone names and the actual frequencies and PL selections. The personalities is where you set the type of channel to be used, whether it will be RX only and which scan list will be used.

There is sort of a correct stepping through the different selections on programming the radio. I try to start with the personality to set how that zone will be used. then go to the zone to set the frequencies and PL selections. Last is the scan list.

One simple way to keep things clear and not get confused is to keep the personalities, zones and scan lists all pertain to the same zone. That way when you have to go back and change something, they are all related to each other. But you can mix the different personalities in a single zone if you need to.

If you have multiple radios with different model numbers, you can have 2 software profiles open and do click and drags to move information from one radio to another. Then go back and clean up the zone and scan lists for any error that will have shown up. If the radio model numbers are the same, you can just clone one radio to the other.

Hope this gives you some insight on the Motorola messed up software. One issue that you will have to live with is if you try to read a radio with an older software version that what the radio was programmed with. You will get an error message. You won't be able to even read the radio with older software that what it was last programmed with.

Jim
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

"being a 100 watt radio, you will have to use the DB-25 connector on the front of the radio to program it with. Your other option is to purchase one of the USB to mic connector programming cables. The price will depend on where you obtain it from. "

Just confirming I can either use a 25 pin or mic plug programming cable??

Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Just confirming I can either use a 25 pin or mic plug programming cable??[/quote]

Yes you can use either one. I just choose to use the serial port DB-25 on the radio when I can.
That connection you can make your own cable for.

The Mic connector can be used, but that's a special connector used by Motorola.

DB25-M..........DB9-F to computer serial port
TXD 2.............2 RX data
RXD 3.............3 TX data
CTS 4.............7 RTS
RTS 17............8, 9 CTS, RI
AGND 18..........5 GND
10, 13 (13 is emergency and 10 is ground on the DB25 male)

Make sure you set the Motorola software to use the serial port your connected to.

Jim
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

Can someone give me the part number for the cradle (radio body mount) for this radio? I was told HLN6920A but would like to confirm that.

Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

radiocat37 wrote:Can someone give me the part number for the cradle (radio body mount) for this radio? I was told HLN6920A but would like to confirm that.

There are two types of mounting plates for the 110 watt radios. One is called the quick release and has the locking handle mounted to the radio that lifts up and down with a key lock. The other style is the screw mount type where you have to use the 4 screws that go into the side of the radio through the mounting plate.

You need to be more specific on which one your looking for.
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

The radio has this locking handle-quick release type attachment (handle) to it, where a 2135 key fits in and releases and it slides up. . I just can't figure out what it attaches to. Thanks

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”