Motorola XTVA (XTS Vehicular Adapter)

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

I am just wondering if it is possible to use a Motorola XTVA and use a VHF and UHF XTS5000 interchangeably? I am assuming that there is an RF power amplifier built in to all of these, but would it be easy to remove or bypass the amplifier so that it can be used inter-changeably with either band? I just have a VHF XTS5000 now, but I hope to get a UHF one eventually. I would like to get by with just one XTVA, but I fear that might put a VHF XTS in a UHF XTVA, or vice-versa, and I suspect that bad things would happen. Unless, of course, there is some sort or protection built into these so that doesn't happen. I rather doubt that anybody has retro-fitted a bdual band RF ampifier for these, but that might be interesting if anybody has. The antenna part would be easy to get a dual band antenna for VHF/UHF.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: Motorola XTVA (XTS Vehicular Adapter)

Post by N4KVE »

No amp in these units. Throw in whatever radio you want. GARY
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

Interesting. Thank you!
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Right, I've never seen an amp built into any XTVA (or any convertacom for that matter), if any is used, it's external. You can hook up a dual band amp and be in business!
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

All the RF Amps i have ever seen that came with ordered XTVA's were TPL manufactured Amps.
fineshot1
NJ USA
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

Will these units hurt the impres li-ion batt on the 5000? Ive seen references to yes and no.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

n3obl wrote:Will these units hurt the impres li-ion batt on the 5000? Ive seen references to yes and no.
Could you please be more specific with your concerns? The only caveat i am familiar with regarding this is that you
lose the state of charge indicator on your XTS Radio but that in itself is not indefinately and the state of charge
indicator returns once you get the chance to use an impress charger on said battery so no "hurt" i am aware of.
fineshot1
NJ USA
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

Ok. Maybe my question is actually two parts.
1. Can the XTVA charge an Li-ion batt safely and properly. (ie. the 4100 capacity ones)
2. Does using an xtva invalidate the impres warranty from motorola.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

n3obl wrote:Ok. Maybe my question is actually two parts.
1. Can the XTVA charge an Li-ion batt safely and properly. (ie. the 4100 capacity ones)
2. Does using an xtva invalidate the impres warranty from motorola.
1. We do not use batteries that large capacity so i can not answer from any experience and know
of no issues regarding that concern.
2. I do not work for Moto and can not speak for them, try asking them or perhaps someone
else knows and can answer that but i suspect since Moto put all customers using xtva's in a situation
to be mostly using impress i doubt there would be any invalidation of warranty.
fineshot1
NJ USA
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

As long as the XTVA is F revision or later it will be fine with Li-ion batteries. They aren't IMPRES compatible of course, but they won't hurt the battery either.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”