Looking for 29 to 36mc maxtrac for 29.6 Fm

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

emersombiguns
New User

Looking for 29 to 36mc maxtrac for 29.6 Fm

Post by emersombiguns »

I acquired a 36 to 42 mhz radio day before I found the post on site that it wouldn't tune to 29. I got this one to go to around 33.5 with software and tuning the vco coil. I was looking to put one on a local repeater as a 29.6 link. I work for a RR and had lots of vhf units come available wi NB implementation. Anyone got one, or boards I could change out on this one to get me on 29.6? Thanks Randy K5SL
mike m

Re: Looking for 29 to 36mc maxtrac for 29.6 Fm

Post by mike m »

Just like the mid split low band mt1000 handhelds you can change the low band maxtracs and radius VCO parts to make the radio a 29 meg radio. You also need to change out some caps in the rx preselector and the lo injection. The service manual list the component differences between each low band split.
emersombiguns
New User

Post by emersombiguns »

mike m wrote:Just like the mid split low band mt1000 handhelds you can change the low band maxtracs and radius VCO parts to make the radio a 29 meg radio. You also need to change out some caps in the rx preselector and the lo injection. The service manual list the component differences between each low band split.
I could not find our service manual on the maxtrac the other day. We (RR) had hundreds of high bands out there, so guess it had the low band info in there. Have to keep looking in file cabinets. Do you know what it takes to get the VCO to lock in lower than now. I get it to lock around 1 v on the SL line. I would be glad to pay for copies of schematics. Thanks Randy K5SL
mike m

Post by mike m »

Go to repeater builders web page and under Motorola scroll about mid screen and look for the PDFs of maxtracs rf boards. Once you have the schematics familiarize yourself with your model and you can then see the band specific component changes needed to move your radio lower in frequency.
emersombiguns
New User

Post by emersombiguns »

Thanks, been away for few weeks with knee replacement, but that should get me going. Thank you..Randy
UA3ATQ
New User

Post by UA3ATQ »

Hello !

Can anyone make a closeup photo of PA board from 29.7-36 MHz Maxtrac?
I'm in process of converting 36-42 MHz split radio to ten meters, and PA coils data is only missing piece of information now.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”