The problem with radios with made up serial numbers

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

The problem with radios with made up serial numbers

Post by escomm »

You send them to Motorola and they sit on the radio for a month and a half before they say they can't validate the serial and want the original factory order number and invoice. Then they want to seize the radio and say it's counterfeit because they don't have a record of the serial.

A radio has a "clean" serial number doesn't mean jack :o. Buyers of tagless radios, especially APX radios, beware of your serial if you ever want to have the radio serviced or repaired at the depot. My poor customer was finally able to get his radio back but not without nasty emails and threats from his lawyer
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: The problem with radios with made up serial numbers

Post by MTS2000des »

I have never understood why people will spend serious (in my mind anything more than $200) on some high end product with no valid documentation. Think about it. If you found the latest Dell laptop "new in box" condition with no service tag and no serial number or some made up B.S. in the BIOS, would you give near market value for the real thing?

Or a 2013 model Dodge Charger with no VIN number or a VIN number from a Ford on it? What do you think your local Dodge dealer is gonna do when you bring it in for warranty service or a recall?

But for some reason, these suckers are SO DESPERATE to have that "po-po" walkie talkie that they forget their common sense, and will instantly send hundreds if not a couple THOUSAND dollars to a complete stranger only having seen some blurry photos taken with some Ghetto PCS Obamaphone "posted with Ebay mobile" and wind up with some :o parts radio and then expect Motorola to overhaul this rustbucket POS for flat rate or worse yet FREE.

I remember what used to be printed on the back of every Radio Shack/Realistic Product warranty statement in every manual for every RS product I bought years ago:

We service what WE sell

If you didn't buy it from Motorola directly or an authorized dealer, why do people think Motorola (or any other manufacturer of any product) owes them a DAMN thing?
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
mike m

Post by mike m »

Yes I agree people will toss their money away for that moto wow factor be it counterfeit or not. On another group I see numerous postings by individuals who seem to be volunteer fire or ems trying to either program or have their auction purchased broken radios fixed.
Last edited by jmr061 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed OT details
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Come on guys. Leave the politics for radio reference. This has nothing to do with radios with bogus serial numbers.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

escomm wrote:Come on guys. Leave the politics for radio reference. This has nothing to do with radios with bogus serial numbers.
OT posts removed. Stay on target.

Thanks

Jason

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”