Low Band HT220, did any ever exist

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WB6NVH

Low Band HT220, did any ever exist

Post by WB6NVH »

This is a question for the older ones among us!

Over the years I had always been of the impression that the HT220 was only made in Mid, High and UHF models, and not low band.

The other day I happened to be looking in the master index of instruction manuals and there was a book listed for a low band HT220. I have had dozens of HT220's and worked on many more than that over the years, but I never saw a low band model and I don't recall the salesman ever having any advertising sheets on such a model. The closest I have ever had is a 77 MHz mid-band model.

I am wondering if anyone has or ever saw a 30-50 MHz series HT220, as I was thinking that perhaps they never actually put it into production. I had always been under the impression that the low band HT-s went from HT200 to MT500 in low band, skipping the HT220.
Bill_G

Re: Low Band HT220, did any ever exist

Post by Bill_G »

I never saw a low band FFN.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Ditto Never saw a low band HT220 Saw some MH10s Handicoms and PT series in lowband
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
mike m

Post by mike m »

During The Phoenix south Mountain swap meet in the early 1980's I was rummaging thru a box of old radios looking for code keys and other CW items when I came out with a HT220 that saw better days, the thing that interested me was the long antenna on it.

Upon opening the back battery plate the owner and I saw that it was on 29.6 and 29.5 MHz, another ham pulled out the guys asking price and walked away with the HT.

This was the only HT220 I ever saw in low band but lots of Mt500's were purchased after this one in both the 29 and 50 MHz splits by myself.
RFI-EMI-GUY

Post by RFI-EMI-GUY »

Apparently Motorola made a VHF "DVP" HT-220 at one time. I found a service manual for just such a radio. Where the PL board would go, a small PC board with gold flat pack IC's was installed. There was a CVSD chip, some discrete logic and three or four BCD rotary switches under a door. It was designed for some sort of multicast system according to the crystal strapping diagram. Common TX and switchable RX freqs. This was about 1979 ish. The lab that developed these sort of things actually had a vault door.
TV DINNER BY THE POOL, IM SO GLAD I FINISHED SCHOOL. FZ
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:Apparently Motorola made a VHF "DVP" HT-220 at one time. I found a service manual for just such a radio. Where the PL board would go, a small PC board with gold flat pack IC's was installed. There was a CVSD chip, some discrete logic and three or four BCD rotary switches under a door. It was designed for some sort of multicast system according to the crystal strapping diagram. Common TX and switchable RX freqs. This was about 1979 ish. The lab that developed these sort of things actually had a vault door.
Not that your post has anything to do with the OP, but those HTs were made for the FBI.

As far as the OP, yes, I had one at one point, in high split, after I got rid of my HT-200. It didn't work much better, it was just a tad smaller. It's a good thing the State of California Parks system had lowband repeaters is all I can say....

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”