New Low Band Radios

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

New Low Band Radios

Post by KitN1MCC »

I am going to getting a new truck in the spring. i am thinking about putting a Low band radio in for work. Whats good out for Low band stuff now

I was thinking a low band CDM1250 But with the amp issues may not go that way

a nice NOS Maratrac
or a Pm1200
mike m

Re: New Low Band Radios

Post by mike m »

GE ORION is another choice. Using the yahoo groups, GEORION, there is a nice windows software called RPM VERSION 17 which works nice on newer pc's, although if you need the 29 split radios they are a bit harder to find than the 50 split radios.

They are available in 60 and 110 watt models with up to 64 scanning channels per zones, and fast dual priority scanning also. nice vacuum fluorescent daylight readable displays, direct channel access if using the full feature head and up to 5 programmable instant channel recall buttons if you don't have a full feature head.

If you do get an Orion then I can help you with all the programming tips and necessary files to move the radios around in various frequency splits.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

We have lots of CDM1250 low band units in the field with few problems. No more problems than the Maxtracs they have replaced.
mike m

Post by mike m »

sorry for the useless reply, new tablet and small text and I thought you wrote NEED instead of NEW as in new still manufactured low band models. The Orion is of course no longer being manufactured.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

IMHO you can't beat the Kenwood TK-6110 for a solid performing, 70W, Low Band radio. The 35-50 split is a plus compared to 36-42 or 42-50 for most other Low Band units.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The Kenwood 90 Series is pretty good for lowband. Somewhere there is a ham mod for them. I'd still go X9000 if I get a bigger truck Odown the road again someday. Otherwise I am still using an Orion. Works will RX in summer skip conditions, but you still can't beat the sensitivity of the X9000.

With less wide area lowband these days, its harder to judge performance.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

my work system is a 5 site Repeater system. i may go with a cdm1250 or a vertex. i do plan on putting the all mode radio in there as well
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

mike m wrote:GE ORION is another choice. Using the yahoo groups, GEORION, there is a nice windows software called RPM VERSION 17 which works nice on newer pc's, although if you need the 29 split radios they are a bit harder to find than the 50 split radios.

They are available in 60 and 110 watt models with up to 64 scanning channels per zones, and fast dual priority scanning also. nice vacuum fluorescent daylight readable displays, direct channel access if using the full feature head and up to 5 programmable instant channel recall buttons if you don't have a full feature head.

If you do get an Orion then I can help you with all the programming tips and necessary files to move the radios around in various frequency splits.
Orion lowband units are nice, however there is no RPM Version 17, you are thinking of Programmer. The latest version of Programmer that isn't tied to a computer hardware registration is R18B02.

RPM does not support Orions.
mike m

Post by mike m »

yes my f-up, regular programmer version R17A05.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”