Shopping for SABER Batteries?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RFI-EMI-GUY

Shopping for SABER Batteries?

Post by RFI-EMI-GUY »

I am shopping for a couple new SABER batteries before the hurricane season. I have had bad luck with W&W. The battery barely lasted a year under extremely light duty and the housing fit was cheesy. I like the short batteries, have in past sent two off to Primecell for NIMH upgrades. But now those are worn out and I am running out of short battery cores for rebuild. Could use more if anyone has dead short batteries (NTN7014, NTN4592) with good plastic.

Having browsed E-Bay I see a bunch of aftermarket batteries including 5000 mah Li-ion.from China, seller: sgzestore . Any recommendations on this Li-ion and its charger or other aftermarket batteries? I am using the NTN4734A charger.

Thanks
TV DINNER BY THE POOL, IM SO GLAD I FINISHED SCHOOL. FZ
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Shopping for SABER Batteries?

Post by escomm »

You will get what you pay for
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

I use the real Motorola IMPPRES HNN9033 2Ah NiCDs rated for -20 to 140 deg F operation. The fit properly and don't wobble like some of the other third party batteries. I've had three sets, the first lot are 5 years or so old and hold 75 to 80+%, the second batch are just over a year old and hold 100 to 105%, the latest ones are at 110+%.

Sling them in the same WPLN413x IMPRES gang charger as the XTS radios. Stuff like the NTN4734 is really history in the battery world. Once you migrate to the newer battery systems you'll never go back and the new chargers will look after your batteries, tell you how much capacity is left, and bridge to the XTS family as the pockets take both styles (and the old MT/MTS dumb batteries as well). The ones to get are the display versions or a cheap non-display one from eBay and then kit it out with at least one display (you can buy the displays as an upgrade kit).
MRFLASHPORT

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

RFI-EMI-GUY,

Try using Batteryzone! They make an Awesome 3000 mAh Battery for the Saber/Astro saber. It has a good snug fit. None of that W&W loose fit garbage.
The battery last well over 10hrs.

http://www.batteryzone.com

Jim
MrFlashPort
RFI-EMI-GUY

Post by RFI-EMI-GUY »

Thanks;
Yes the W&W was a disappointment right off the bat. A bit to large in width leaving a gap at the latch. And the battery has an early death. The Primecell repacks, are dying but have a better last gasp than the W&W.

If I buy some IMPRES batteries, will they work at all in my old chargers? I have a travel trickle charger (Cup) that fits my travel bag well.
RFI-EMI-GUY

Post by RFI-EMI-GUY »

Looks like these two are promising. Still looking for some "short" batteries as well.

1) "The BZ4595MH is a 7.5V, 3000MAH, NiMH Replacement two-way radio battery for Motorola SABER Radios. This battery replaces Motorola OEM Part Number NTN4593, NTN4593DR, NTN4594, NTN4595, NTN4595A, NTN4595B, NTN4595DR, NTN4595M, NTN8251AR. $64"

I have a couple Multiplier Primary Lithium's on the shelf, never used. about 10 years old. Probably time to get another pair of those as well.

2) "The BZ4595PL is a 9V / 4200mAh / LITHIUM, NON RECHARGEABLE Replacement two-way radio battery for Motorola SABER Radios. This battery replaces Motorola OEM Part Number NTN4593, NTN4593DR, NTN4594, NTN4595, NTN4595A, NTN4595B, NTN4595DR, NTN4595M, NTN8251AR. $59"
Chris

Post by Chris »

I only use Motorola batteries. W+W are junk. Mutliplier used to be good, but no so much anymore.

PM escomm. Service and price are excellent.

Chris
Chris

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”