repeater coax cable recommendation

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FCM
New User

repeater coax cable recommendation

Post by FCM »

Installing a gmrs repeater. cable run is 35 ft . Output is 35 watts..what should I use for cable? Can I use cinta 600?

Thanks
Will

Re: repeater coax cable recommendation

Post by Will »

Most repeater pro's do NOT use any foil/braid types of coax. The foil/braid type cables are prone to duplex noise and passive intermod generation.

Heilax is the best.
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

For that distance, Andrew (CommScope) 1/4" Superflex, FSJ1-50A, should work nicely.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Too thin, easily damaged, and installers often make a hash of fitting the connectors. I recommend the 3/8" cable and check to see if a plenum or riser cable jacket is needed.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

So, we use 9914 often to make a jumper between the repeater cabinet and lighting arrestors, maybe less than 10' in most cases. I have never run into the issues of noise in duplexed systems, however the runs have been short. I would also assume, since 9914 style cable is used as jumpers on many duplexers themselves, this problem is isolated to longer runs or outdoor (wind exposed) installations?

I would have no issue in using 1/2 heliax, however if it is not terminating into a fixed rack or cabinet, people moving the cable and cabinet worries me. Stressing the connectors on the hardline is much easier than a 9914 type cable.

Thanks, Rob
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

wow all this overbuilding of a gmrs repeater

come on guys

superflex is extremely lossy (4db/100ft at 450mhz!) and heliax is overpriced for such a project

LMR400 or LMR600 is fine for 35 feet

you can put my name on that
FCM
New User

Post by FCM »

Thanks everyone for your input. Im going to go with the lmr 600. The cost is less than half of the heliax.
Thanks again to the forum !

Frank
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

escomm wrote:wow all this overbuilding of a gmrs repeater

come on guys

superflex is extremely lossy (4db/100ft at 450mhz!) and heliax is overpriced for such a project

LMR400 or LMR600 is fine for 35 feet

you can put my name on that
+1

And I see no benefit going with LMR600 for this band at this length. I'd stick to LMR400.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

For a run that short, good old RG214 would be perfectly fine, and no LMR foil/braid noise worries.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

wavetar wrote:For a run that short, good old RG214 would be perfectly fine, and no LMR foil/braid noise worries.
Other than the price going in the complete opposite direction, you have a point. RG214 is more expensive than heliax.. and even lossier. :o
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

And btw, if LMR400 is good enough for short runs of public safety BDA applications at 700 & 800MHz, which it is, then it's good enough for any GMRS, amateur, or even commercial repeater... that's not at an RF dense site. All this nonsense is overengineering and a separation of the user from his money
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Every time I run into so called noisy lmr cable, it's the connectors. Either poor workmanship, or poor mating. I had one recently with the braid trimmed off entirely with a tiny bit of the black outer coating trapped in the crimp. This was supposedly a pre-made bagged cable from the interwebs.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Is this a good time to piss and moan about DIN connectors and AVA and other types of garbage Andrew is shoving down LMR's throat
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I like how the connectors are so interchangeable between AVA5 and LDF5. Two thumbs up!!!!!!!

(/sarcasm)
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Well, what's superflex good for then?!
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

KG4INW wrote:Well, what's superflex good for then?!
For people that can afford it, it's great for indoor cables. Some sites require it.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

KG4INW wrote:Well, what's superflex good for then?!
RX jumper from a multicoupler to a receiver
tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

Post by tsunami_australia »

I got some HFSC 12D (pretty sure that's the model code) 1/2" coax dirt cheap last month at a radio field day and it has been EXCEPTIONAL here on a 33m run for both VHF and UHF. I run from the antenna to just behind the radios where I have a 10-20cm RG58 patch to go from the N plugs terminating the 1/2" to MPL plugs for the GM300UHF/M120VHF radios. As the radios are both affixed to a shelf the coax comes up behind the shelf off the floor and the plugs sit just a few cm above the shelf some 6 or so cm from the rear of the radios.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”