Motorola sells off enterprise mobility

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Motorola sells off enterprise mobility

Post by tdats »

I read this article today about Motorola selling off their enterprise mobility division, and am wondering what it means for us two way radio people.

http://mccmag.com/newsArticle.cfm?news_id=10701

From what I gather, all of their business grade radios would be part of this. I believe that includes the Moto Trbo line of radios, but I am not sure.

Are my XPR6550's going to start coming with Zebra Technology's logos on them? Zebra deals more with the RFID connectivity/scanners sort of stuff. I have not been able to tell of the business two way radio part is included with this or not. My office went trough that with they spun off their mobility side of things, when all of our Motorola Canopy radios started coming lettered for Cambium networks. Other than the logo changes, we have not seen any issues with that transition.

My big concern is that our organization is in the process of migrating to Moto Trbo. It makes me second guess that decision now, wondering about the longevity of the product line now. (we just started the project, so another direction is feasible)

I am not trying to start a discussion about what is better than what or anything like that, just after what does this mean to us? I don't need to hear all the reason's why we should go with company X instead of mother M. My sales reps don't seem to know anything about it.

Thanks!
:)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Motorola sells off enterprise mobility

Post by escomm »

No, no radios have been sold off. This is Symbol, aka their barcode scanner business. As for what it means, I found this posted on RR and thought it was cute:
I question the premise that Greg Brown is not good at growing business. Greg Brown has recently built up many companies. Nokia Solutions, Google, Lenovo, Arris, and now Zebra among others. And he is building many businesses all at once!

Greg Brown and Carl Icahn are both about shareholder value and both have become wealthy following this philosophy. Greg Brown is truly a whiz kid expert at growing and building businesses as well as being a visionary leader. Going beyond technology, he is also supports companies like Zurich in creating a new headquarters.

When Greg Brown came to Motorola is was nothing but an eclectic, incongruous collection of warring tribes. Greg has almost eliminated this pointless internal fighting. As Greg so blithely put it, "We have met the enemy and it is us!" Greg is at last bringing peace to Schaumburg. Although perhaps some of the battles will now move to downtown Chicago. At least Greg has a shorter commute from his downtown Chicago penthouse, easily paid for with the millions he hands himself each year for doing such a great job leading Motorola. In less than 7 years Greg has undone 75 years of Galvin influence. OK Zander helped a great deal but Greg deserves his share.

Greg Brown believes Motorola should get back to its core business and abandon bar code readers, semiconductors, telecommunications, smart phones, real estate, employees and technology. Motorola can outsource all of that. This will ultimately increase shareholder value. Less
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

That does sum it up pretty well there. That seems to be what they have been doing.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

So I heard this deal includes pagers? Is that correct?
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”