XTS2500 weather resistance?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

TomSlick

XTS2500 weather resistance?

Post by TomSlick »

How weather resistant is a stock XTS2500? For example, should I be concerned about exposing it to a heavy rain storm? I try to keep it in a gear pocket if possible, but sometimes it's exposed.
Squad5
was mwb9122

Re: XTS2500 weather resistance?

Post by Squad5 »

They will take the rain pretty well. Before my APX, I carried a 2500 and it held up fine during pretty severe weather. Being Submersed is a different story...
JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Post by JRUTA »

Dumb question, not to hijack the thread but I have a 2500 "i" model. Whats the difference between "immersible" and "submersible" ? Thanks.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

the 2500i has a lower immersion rating than the XTS5000R, the 2500i is IP67 rated:
http://www.motorolasolutions.com/web/Bu ... pLibItem=1

The 5000R is IPX7 rated:
http://www.motorolasolutions.com/web/Bu ... 00_new.pdf

Keep in mind, the waterproof integrity is only assured when the radio housing has not been compromised, damaged and has been properly pressure tested.

to the OP's question, a plain old 2500 has fairly good water resistance from heavy rain, or indirect water spray. Neither of these radios are designed to come into continuous contact with water or full submersion for long periods of time (the I versions).

FWIW the APX line is much superior in the watertightness department.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

My XTS has been submitted to harsh weather. High heat, extreme cold. Radio has been completely soaked and then froze with water in it and it works fine still. I have the i version.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

I have a fleet of 250 XTS 2500i in service since 2009. Several have spent a night or 2 turned on in a ditch filled with water after falling off a belt. There was NO water intrusion at all, just removed the battery, cleaned up the plate and returned to service. Only problem that may occur is water in the microphone hole. My dispatchers recognize the muffled sound on TX and will ask the operator to clear the radio of water. That consists of either turning the radio face down and smacking the side of the radio or if that doesn't work, a corner of a paper towel gently stuck into the mic hole works as well.

About 100 of these are in daily use for a Power Utility and get beat around pretty well. Rain is common but has caused no electrical or mechanical failures. Dropping from 20-30 feet has claimed a couple but Depot fixed up well. 2 or 3 have been run over by a 15 Ton bucket truck, those didn't fare so well.....

If it matters, I use Nylon cases by BEE with D ring clips.
TomSlick

Post by TomSlick »

Ours are non-i versions, but immersion shouldn't be an issue (crossing fingers).
JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Post by JRUTA »

Good to hear. Seems like a rock solid radio. I baby mine but good to know it can take the abuse if it has to.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”