Electrical theory - running AC off of DC supply and..

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Electrical theory - running AC off of DC supply and..

Post by Pj »

Ok, refresh my memory on how this works:

At work we have 74vDC power supplies. Before some things became illegal, people were able to use iphone, laptop power supplies and the like 110vAC chargers on 74vDC power to charge items. Seems to work, no one noticed any ill effects.

How does this work?

Second, which is/was considered a better power supply, and why? I know one is cheaper than the other and I think one produces less DC noise than another.. switching vs non-switching.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Electrical theory - running AC off of DC supply and..

Post by Wowbagger »

Most modern power supplies are high frequency switching power supplies. The first thing such supplies do with the incoming AC is rectify it and turn it into high voltage DC, usually 170 or 300 VDC. They then switch that DC at very high frequencies (usually 1MHz or greater) to drive a very small transformer (transformer size varies inversely with frequency), and make the low voltage needed by the device. This is why most modern power supplies can deal with 120VAC at 60 Hz (North American power standard) or 240VAC at 50Hz (European standard) - they convert it to 300VDC, so frequency doesn't matter, and by a very minor change in the rectifier topology they can make 300VDC from either voltage.

Running a very low power device like a phone isn't very demanding on the switcher, so running from 74VDC vs. 170VDC simply means the switcher has to run a bit harder, but not so much harder that it blows up.

For radio power supplies, it *used* to be that switchers were bad - the outputs were poorly filtered, and that 1MHz signal would leak out. Moreover, since the switching was done on short pulses, they were rich in harmonics across the band, so such power supplies were very RF noise *in the old days*. However, modern power supplies are very well filtered, and basically put out no more RF than an old school "big lump of iron and copper" transformer power supply.

So which is better? I'd say good switchers, every time.

(Now, if you buy cheap crap with no good filters - you get what you pay for).
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

The bigger question is - who at your work put 74vdc on standard outlets that people could plug their chargers in?
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

It's all good until someone tries it with an old style wall wart... how much smoke would 74VDC through a transformer primary make? :-P
Pj

Post by Pj »

Bill_G wrote:The bigger question is - who at your work put 74vdc on standard outlets that people could plug their chargers in?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ha!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Pj wrote:
Bill_G wrote:The bigger question is - who at your work put 74vdc on standard outlets that people could plug their chargers in?
Pj

Post by Pj »

Ha! :)
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

Also, some of the new power supplies I have seen in newer devices have a range of voltage they work on.

Then you have the AC tools with motors from Harbor freight that work on both AC and DC....
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

The problem there is you never see CSX on the Tracks like that

They may have a step down system or regulators down to 74volt. on the older loco we used to put a 12VDC alternator and battery for 12v radios

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”