Transistorized "Dispatcher" Radiophone

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NewJerseyBill

Transistorized "Dispatcher" Radiophone

Post by NewJerseyBill »

Did Motorola ever make a UHF Transistorized "Dispatcher" Radiophone?

Bill
impalass427

Re: Transistorized "Dispatcher" Radiophone

Post by impalass427 »

I checked my old Gregory Electronics catalog, it does show a front mount UHF Business Dispatcher # D34DRT-3100 and a rear mount T34DRT-1100. $98 and $148 in 1982. Doesnt say transistor or not. Since the 2nd T means transistor power supply, I'm guessing its a Motrac- based radio and is A 15 watt output. Don
NewJerseyBill

Post by NewJerseyBill »

Thanks for the reply, but wrong vintage. The ones I'm curious about are late 50,s based on the pre PT series "Lunch box" portables, Beige tops, gray bottoms.

Bill.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I am looking at a 1967 Motorla catalog that has the D41/D23/D43DEN series "Dispatchers" that were based on the HT/PT200 portables. There are no UHF "D*4" models listed, only the Low and VHF versions.

This catalog also lists only Low and VHF versions of the PT200/300.

The HT200 and 220 were available on UHF. It is possible the solid state technology for a UHF higher power PA for a "PT" or "D" version did not exist at that time.
NewJerseyBill

Post by NewJerseyBill »

These are still newer than the series radio I'm curious about. I know what you mean about the PT,s I don't ever remember seeing a UHF version of them, altho Motorola did make a UHf HT200 so I'm not sure why there wasn't atleast a UHF PT200. The pre PT "lunch boxes that I have seen on VHF use peanut tubes in the transmitter and the high power use a 2E26 (I think) final.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

By "transistorized" do you mean to include the series that used a tube PA?

AFAIK, the "DEN" units I mentioned above were the first that were all solid state.

There was an earlier Dispatcher version, the "BMT" series based on the packsets that my info shows only were available as Low (D31BMT) and High (D33BMT). These used tube PAs like the packsets you described. I think the packsets were "BAT" series which match your description. I don't see any info that indicates there was ever a UHF version of these packsets.

Any all solid state UHF radio at that time would be very doubful based on the available technology.
NewJerseyBill

Post by NewJerseyBill »

Correct, actually, that is what Motorola called them, and I believe you are right on the BMT, and BAT. If links work here is an ebay posting for the shop manual for the VHF version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1958-Mo ... 19ed011a0f
Will

Post by Will »

We worked on those long ago---- at the MSS.
They have peanut tubes in the final TX, and transistorized receiver and switching power supply for the TX.
Do not remember a UHF version in that model series.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

This is the Dispatcher radio i used to use at work long ago. Very large by todays
standards but was a good radio until i was the third fella in the truck and i was
stuck in the middle and my knee caps were banging up against it. That was back
in the 1970's era. :)

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... manual.pdf
fineshot1
NJ USA
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

Apparently the model names are confusing to people after all these years. Motorola used the "Dispatcher" name beginning in 1947 with the FMTRU-5V and continued through many newer models, adding assorted prefixes.

The radio asked about by the OP is the original Transistorized Dispatcher of 1958, initially offered as D33-1 or T33-1 and D31-1 or T31-1. The numbering system was changed about 1960 to D33AAT and T33AAT and similar. This was one of Motorola's most successful and longest-lived products. The Transistorized Dispatcher was the first product using transistors and that's why it says "Transistorized," even though it still has lots of tubes in it as well (1AD4 + 6397 + 2E24 in the transmitters, "instant heating.")

The answer to the original question is no, there were no UHF Transistorized Dispatchers. The technology wasn't there yet at the time these were designed.

Following the Transistorized Dispatcher was the Solid State Dispatcher, about 1964, which used HT200 boards and was indeed available as a UHF radio. Suffix -DEN. Also repackaged as the Airport Dispatcher and some other names I have forgotten. At the same time, to muddy the water, there was the Dispatcher radio of 1963 that later was upgraded and renamed Mocom 30, which also had a UHF model by the time of the Mocom 30. Suffix originally -BMT and as Mocom 30, -CMT.

The original Transistorized Dispatcher chassis was also configured into metal pack sets (such as P31AAM for hybids or P33BAM for solid state receivers) and forestry lookout radios as well as some oddball items.

The Transistorized Dispatcher radios as well as the Solid State Dispatchers are covered on my Motorola Motorcycle Radio history web pages. I haven't had time to bring the separate Motorola Radio History web page newer than about 1960 yet.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

What I liked about my 2F AAT was the awesome receive audio. The "wedge" fit under the seat of my pickup, and stuck just far enough I could reach the controls. The damn thing was so loud you could seriously damage your hearing if you forgot and left it at full volume.
NewJerseyBill

Post by NewJerseyBill »

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've learned alot.

Bill
resqroz
New User

Post by resqroz »

One of the first 2 meter radios that I had as a kid was a dispatcher packset. Probably a P23BAT. I later had a t33BAT motorcycle radio mounted in my Jeep. The motorcycle control head was perfect for when the jeep was topless. It put out a lot of audio and it was weatherproof. I mounted the radio box in the back of the jeep and that kept the radio weatherproof too. At some point I replaced the 2E24 with a solid state amp in the housing.
xmo

Post by xmo »

As long as we are talking about these antiquities, I have to show you the one I just acquired.

It's related to the radios in this thread, but I don't ever remember seeing one quite like it before.

It's an old Handie-Talkie - by old - I mean 54 years old (1960).

It has a power connection on the side with a cable that connects to the power supply in the battery compartment. As I recall, these usually had a NICAD battery pack - the first ones were even wet cells!

Now get this - it still works! It puts out about 3/4 of a Watt and receives at 1/2 microvolt! The transmit is off freq about 700 Hz (CPS back in the day) and the receive is off frequency about 5 KC.

You may have noticed another strange thing - there are two handset connectors on it. Yes - it's an SP.

Here's the tag:

So this thing being a Motorola "PEDRO" - does anyone want to take a guess as to the frequency it's on?
NewJerseyBill

Post by NewJerseyBill »

Wow, it's in really nice shape for it's age.

Bill

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”