XTS5000R model number

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc12380
New User

XTS5000R model number

Post by kc12380 »

I originally started looking to buy and xts2500 and I always read to buy a radio with a model number emding in BN compared to AN because you can flash it with more upgrades? Then I decided I wanted to buy an XTS5000R and was looking around, do they have model numbers ending in BN or only AN?
Bigfella237

Re: XTS5000R model number

Post by Bigfella237 »

The firmware issue is a byproduct of the amount of memory available, early lower tier "AN" radios (XTS2500, XTS1500, MT1500, PR1500 & PM1500) only had 4MB whereas the later "BN" models had 8MB. The earlier versions simply didn't have the memory to allow their firmware development to continue (I believe the latest firmware revision for any "AN" model was R09.00.41 released August 2011).

Conversely, the higher tier XTS4000/5000 portables and all the XTL mobiles had 8MB of memory from the very start and so (having never been updated) are all still "AN" models.

Andrew
kc12380
New User

Post by kc12380 »

Thanks andrew! Anything I should look for particular when buying an xts5000r
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

I guess it depends on your application, budget and how concerned you are with having a "numbers matching" tagged radio? Unfortunately used radio markets like eBay are flooded with "Frankenradios"... like upgraded model 1's, whored flashcodes, parts-built and worst of all ALT (Accelerated Life Testing) radios.

If you have a reasonable budget and/or need a factory certified radio (say for public safety use) then you'll want to insist on the radio having genuine tags on the back which at least match the model and serial number.

There are a heap of radios out there that all have identical CBI serial numbers of "123ABC1234" too, I personally would stay far away from these for many reasons, for one you know it can't be a factory radio but mainly from the standpoint of liability; consider what happens if someone else reports their 123ABC radio stolen and has the police enter that serial into their database, now you happen to be stopped with your radio on your belt and they run an inquiry on it... you will have some explaining to do at the very least!

Also, there are a lot of re-cased radios around that have been put into ruggedized cases (an XTS5000 in an XTS5000R case), the only indication of an actual ruggedized radio (without dismantling it) is to look at the back of the radio, "R" models have a screw-in hex head plug in a vacuum test port, whereas standard models just have a rough-cast boss.

There are probably a thousand other things to look out for but I'll let others chime in with their own thoughts.

Andrew
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

any used radio that will be put into public safety service SHOULD be PM'ed by a shop who has the proper tools to pressure test ruggedized housings.

Anyone can swap a housing but how many can actually give a radio a full checkout on a modern service monitor like an Aeroflex 3920B AND do a full vacuum pump pressure test to ensure it's water tightness? Only real, bona fide shops can do that.

Of course if the radio is just being used by Mr. Joe Scanner or ham guy, not really worth spending the labor to do a full PM.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
kc12380
New User

Post by kc12380 »

How do you match the serial numbers? What is a model 1 model number compared to a model 3 model number? Does a motorola dealer do those checks? Anybody have a picture of the pressure valve and heck screw on the back of the radio?

Thanks
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

The serial number can be obtained from three sources:

1) the tag on the back of the radio; and/or
2) by placing the radio in service mode (press the side ".." button five times immediately after power up); and/or
3) from the CPS after reading the radio's codeplug.

Obviously all three should match. Methods 2 & 3 will also yield the Electronic Serial Number (ESN), which unlike the regular serial cannot be changed, however there is no way to cross-reference the two, well none outside Motorola anyway.

The model number nomenclature is defined in the service manuals, it shouldn't be too hard to find an online copy of the BSM floating around but basically if you had a model number of:

H18UCF9PW7AN

H = Hand-Held Portable
18 = XTS5000
U = the frequency band (the common ones are K = VHF, Q = UHF low, S = UHF high, U = 700/800)
C = power level
F = Physical Package (C = model I, F = model II, H = model III)

The rest relate to various options but I have never personally seen any variation, they all seem to end with ...9PW7AN?

I found a picture on another forum which illustrates the difference between a ruggedized and standard chassis:

Andrew
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Them tags
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

MTS2000des wrote:Anyone can swap a housing but how many can actually give a radio a full checkout on a modern service monitor like an Aeroflex 3920B AND do a full vacuum pump pressure test to ensure it's water tightness? Only real, bona fide shops can do that.
While only real, bona-fide, FM shops can maintain the FM/IS rating, there's no reason why a hobbiest can't have the right tools and complete a full alignment to manufacturer specs, including the pressure test. I have all the necessary hardware to do so.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”