Maxtrac RF HLD4322C

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sataraid1

Maxtrac RF HLD4322C

Post by sataraid1 »

While searching for a Maxtrac I could use with APRS, I found and picked up a 2-channel Maxtrac that was part of a MOSCAD set. The radio was labeled FUD1841AB, and I had hoped it would have the HLD4321B 136-162 RF board in it. I pulled the codeplug, but RSS reported the radio's range as 146-174. Sigh. Oh well, I got it cheap so no big loss. I put it away for a while and gave it no further thought.

This evening, however, I opened up the case and looked inside. Turns out it has the HLD4322C 144-174 board in it. I was quite surprised. I fired it back up and pulled the codeplug again, expecting to be able to create a 144.39 mode, but the RSS won't accept it.

So I'm a little confused now. If the RF board is capable of 144.39, why won't the RSS accept it? It would seem that the radio was initialized as 146-174, but why would that be done?

What, if anything, can be done to get this radio to operate correctly on 144.39? If I record the tuning data, can I blank and reinitialize the radio for the desired split? Should I just use the shift-key trick?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Satelite

Re: Maxtrac RF HLD4322C

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
The Shift Key Trick Is Your Answer.
How this works is fire up the rss and read but when entering the out of the band split freq you press and hold the shift key on the key bd for all numerical values but let off the shift key for the decimal point.
So example a shift keyed entry outside the bds band spread of 142.650 will look like this !$@.^%)
Ok if you notice while holding the shift key you will see a 1 actualy come up as a ! and so on.
But remember only numbers get the shift key and the decimal dot will be a normal decimal dot.
After you do this program and read the radio again and you should see your freq you were after.
This was a back door trick in the program to allow out of band freqs that were still in the bds freq which really was 136 to 174 but the bd was programmed as one of the several freq spreads.
Yes there is a 136 to 174 MHz spread maxtrac and its model number was D33MJA7DA5CK which is a 25 watt mobile and no 45 watters were made but you could change the pa and retune the pa and this one was a 16 ch.
However a 2 ch /6ch/16ch and a 32 ch model was available as well but only in a 25 watter from factory.
HUD1705B with B310 option was the 136 to 174 by program and used the same rf bd as the 136 to 162 and 146 to 174 spreads but again the B310 option for freq spread programming of 136 to 174 mhz.
Pretty sure you could blank and reinitiate as a 136 to 174 but why would you when the shift key method does it anyway.
Satelite
Will

Post by Will »

You are going to have a problem with the transmitter power below 146 running wide open.
sataraid1

Post by sataraid1 »

Will wrote:You are going to have a problem with the transmitter power below 146 running wide open.
I suspected that the radio wouldn't like anything outside of its initialized range, regardless of the actual RF board in place.

With that said, if I can find someone who will do a fresh align/calibrate on the radio, is reinitialization an option?
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I just went to the bench and checked a maxtrac 146 to 174 spread and programmed it for 142.390
My 2ch maxtrac 100 25 watt mobile didn't go full tx but rather went 25 watts then drops back to 10 watts.
Also double checked to see what the 136 to 174 25 watt maxtrac used per my manual for rf bd and it states both bds but with the B310 option installed.
Tried googling the B310 option and came up empty handed so not sure what the B310 option is to allow the 136 to 174 spread at 25 watts.
But I believe youd be better off maybe modifying the pa drive with a manual pot adjustment when the radio is programmed to the freq you wanted by manualy setting the pa output rather than using the radios bd components.
I have seen that mod mentioned here on the bd awhile back so if you do a search you should find it.
Id check the rx sensitivity too as will suggested by retuning if its not good enough after out of band programming.
Satelite

Just searched and found the post on the pa amp mod = Search M100 45 watt amp hates me.
Id bet if you do a google search maxtrac pa mod youd find it on radio reference I think it is.
Will

Post by Will »

sataraid1 wrote: I suspected that the radio wouldn't like anything outside of its initialized range, regardless of the actual RF board in place.

With that said, if I can find someone who will do a fresh align/calibrate on the radio, is reinitialization an option?
I will be glad to do that for you, a complete alignment/calibration.

The power control is part of the firmware on the logic board.
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

a Google search for Maxtrac power control
will give you links to both the hardware and firmware mods
you can decide which you are comfortable doing
wendell

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”