XTS5000 Intermittent TX

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

XTS5000 Intermittent TX

Post by WV8VFD »

Hi all,

At work we have several XTS5000s. Several of them are experiencing a problem when you press the PTT, the signal is very choppy. You can watch the red light blink as you transmit. It seems to be dependent on the position of where you press the PTT and how hard you press it. Are they due for new front electronics? Or is there a way to mitigate the problem?

These are all Model 1s VHF.

Thanks
Tyler Lewis
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Re: XTS5000 Intermittent TX

Post by KG4INW »

Have you tried them with speaker/mics? If so, do they exhibit the same behavior?
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

Ooops. Forgot to mention that. With speaker mics they are fine. I'm guessing the little PTT "popple" is bad, but I just find it strange that at least 4 out of 7 are doing it.
Tyler Lewis
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

WV8VFD wrote:Ooops. Forgot to mention that. With speaker mics they are fine. I'm guessing the little PTT "popple" is bad, but I just find it strange that at least 4 out of 7 are doing it.

What kind of service have these radios seen? Some time back there were some issues with mud or dirt getting into the switch and causing PTT problems.

There could be other issues causing this.

Jim
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

As far as I know they are ex military. They were obtained through a government surplus program then issued to my department.
Tyler Lewis
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Apart from continuing to use them with speaker/mics, sounds like new housings are the best way to remedy them.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”