XTVA Remote Mounting

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

XTVA Remote Mounting

Post by tsunami_australia »

I'm looking this year at getting at least an R and K 3000 (hoping for a 5000 instead) and was considering removing the MCS2000 in the car and using XTVAs for the handhelds instead for mobile. Catch is as with many cars now there is no sweet spot for something like that in the car cab.

If I were to get the HHCH XTVA (W3 head) is there any length limitations that would prohibit me from mounting the XTVA in the boot lid with just the speakers under the drivers seat and HHCH hanging from beside the gearbox/centre console (thus creating I guess the equivalent of a W3 XTL5000 with an amp added to the XTVA(s))?
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: XTVA Remote Mounting

Post by FireCpt809 »

I have done it for some Federal agencies here. ran a cat5 and a connector under the seat remote mounted the XTVA in the trunk and the speaker under the other seat .. Worked fine.
tsunami_australia

TYVM FireCpt.... That's exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear. I figured it shouldn't be too uncommon a thought/request given the size of the things.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

The problem is the radio is still turned on and off with the radio knob. Walking away and leaving the radio on will discharge the radio battery every time the ignition is off.
tsunami_australia

Interesting N9, and good to know. But at least will not likely be an issue for my job since I'm likely to take them with me nearly everywhere anyway.
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

Have you considered mounting the XTVA on the back of the center console?

FWIW when I cut power to my XTVA via master switch the XTS cuts off too, even though the switch is still "on".
Jake
tsunami_australia

NSPD, our car has AC outlets/ducts out the back of the centre console else that's were I'd have placed at least one. Most cars here have ducts there.
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

I used to have one mounted to the back of the console. Allowed me to remove the radio easier and kept everything close. Newer vehicles have a lot less room in them, the XTVA is in a box in the garage right now, awaiting its next install. Some cars have lower consoles now too, so the XTVA might be a little too high or long for this to work and still not get in the way. I did smack my radios antenna a few times with it sticking up from the center console. (Backing and sometimes, tight turns put my elbows back a bit at times.)
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

FWIW when I cut power to my XTVA via master switch the XTS cuts off too, even though the switch is still "on".[/quote]

I need that to happen on my XTS5000. I seem to recall a soft power off option, is that it?

Chris
N9LLO
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

NSPD wrote:Have you considered mounting the XTVA on the back of the center console?

FWIW when I cut power to my XTVA via master switch the XTS cuts off too, even though the switch is still "on".
Do what now? How did you accomplish that feat?
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Yes, I would really like to know about this also

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”