SABER Charger NTN4734B

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RFI-EMI-GUY

SABER Charger NTN4734B

Post by RFI-EMI-GUY »

1) I just bought what appears to be a new old stock 1989 vintage NTN4734B charger to give my NTN4734A a break. I noticed a few things different off the bat.

1) The STANDBY LED in the upper right corner is more orange/green than the Yellow of the "A" version? Weird.

2) The contacts seem to be particular tight, especially the outermost two. Sometimes the battery does not appear to make contact.

3) On some batteries the STANDBY LED Flashes and then the red CHARGE LED blinks and all lights go off.

4) These batteries all charge properly in my A version charger.

5) What are the differences A versus B?

6) Where can I find a schematic?

Thoughts

Thanks
TV DINNER BY THE POOL, IM SO GLAD I FINISHED SCHOOL. FZ
RFI-EMI-GUY

Re: SABER Charger NTN4734B

Post by RFI-EMI-GUY »

Well I went with my gut and opened to look at the contact assembly. The design is funky. If the spring leaves are not bent enough, when assembled they catch on the bottom of the plastic channel they operate within. If you pull the PC board up so they don't catch, then the battery contacts don't make contact and the results in #3) result. I have tensioned the contacts a bit more, maybe not enough being careful. I also put some silicon lube on the plastic so they don't bind.

Apparently this was a manufacturing tolerance problem which may explain why I netted a NOS charger for $10 at Orlando Hamvention. The seller had a box of these, so maybe the factory had a bad day in Aug 1989.

Still wondering about:

New) Wonder if an SRN is published on fixing these sort of problems.

1) The STANDBY LED in the upper right corner is more orange/green than the Yellow of the "A" version? Weird.

5) What are the differences A versus B?

6) Where can I find a schematic?
TV DINNER BY THE POOL, IM SO GLAD I FINISHED SCHOOL. FZ

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”