CDM Power without Control head

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

CDM Power without Control head

Post by Mikey »

Is there any way to power up a CDM Mobile that doesn't have a Control Head or Ribbon Cable attached?

I have a lead on several CDM Mobiles that I would like to use as a receiver but they don't have control heads, WOndering if I can jump something on the ribbon cable jack to power them on?

Mikey
Will

Re: CDM Power without Control head

Post by Will »

We run our Maxtrac and Radius radios in station and repeater without the 'control head's. Just a jumper on the front connector to turn it on.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Don't know the pinout but it's possible as I picked up a couple CDM1550's that had 'data' heads on them. These 'data' heads are just plastic blanks without any electricall connection so they had to be running them on the 20 pin connector.
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

You should be able to jumper the ignition sense pin to one of the other pins in the connector on the back to power it on. I will have to dig around to see if I can find what 2 pins those are.

We had to do that to make radios turn on by themselves on busses where they already switch the power leads. Should work for that too.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

You will need to program radio to follow ignition sense. It may work then with power applied to pin 10
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

From what I recall, a jumper from pin 4 to pin 10 will make the radio turn on as soon as it gets power, assuming you have ignition switch enabled and are not using the alarm out function. We had to do that for a fleet of buses that had switched power coming to the radio instead of re-wiring them all for proper ignition switching.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”