Getting a Baofeng UV-5R to communicate with a Moto CP200

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

1crazymax
What radios do you own?: CP200's, CM300, Baofeng UV-5RC

Getting a Baofeng UV-5R to communicate with a Moto CP200

Post by 1crazymax »

Dipping into the well of knowledge again... I purchase used CP200 walkie talkies to clean up, replace any parts needed, and resale. My personal CP's are VHF so I can use them to check any VHF's I acquire. But occasionally I end up with just one UHF with no way to check TX and RX functions. So I purchased a Baofeng UV-5R for the purpose of programming UHF frequencies onto it and changing the CP200 frequencies to match that of UV-5R. So far the frequencies I've programmed will allow the UV-5R to TX to the CP200 and the CP200 can TX to the UV-5R's for maybe 1.5 seconds the they quit RX audio ends. I am TX and RX on the same frequency and have the SFT-D in the UV-5R set to OFF not - or + ,the offset set to 000.000, the TX and RX CTCS set to 69.3Hz and the step set to 5.0K. I have the CP200 set to the same TX and RX frequency with a TPL tone of 69.3Hz, I have the MDC, Quick Call II, DTMF, Phone,Call, and Repeaters all turned off or to None. I'm sure there's something simply that I've over looked but I don't know what. The Moto in question is a CP200XLS Model: H50RDF9AA5AN if that matters. This is my first experience with the UV-5R but for the money, $34.00 shipped new in box, I figured it's woth it even If I can't get it to do what I want. To recap, the UV-5R will TX to the CP200XLS with no problem and the UV-5R will receive audio from the CP200XLS for about 1.5 seconds then I loose audio. This happens on more than one channel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: Getting a Baofeng UV-5R to communicate with a Moto CP200

Post by RadioSouth »

Lotsa possibilities but proceeding without test equipment I'd first set them up in CSQ to eliminate the possibility of PL decoding issues. That 69.3 is kinda close to 60 hz AC, something in the 100-160 hz area is usually less problematic.
tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

Post by tsunami_australia »

Yeah lowest subtone I've seen in use was 96.x somewhere.

And I completely agree that to use anything other than CSQ when testing is asking for issues.
mike m

Post by mike m »

I have the upgraded bro, the uv82x and I had the same issue.

Its major receiver overload on the Boefeng end, the fix is to remove the antenna from the Boefeng and put a 20 db pad on it and if possible set the other transceiver to low power.

Mine was actually damaged by transmitting 5 feet away on another HT, the transistor switching the top led light was damaged.
1crazymax
What radios do you own?: CP200's, CM300, Baofeng UV-5RC

Post by 1crazymax »

Thanks for the replies...That's what I'm not 100% sure about. I watched a youtube video where a guy went into great detail on programming his UV-5R and he took his time and didn't rush like most people do. The only difference was he was using an offset of ( - ) 600 and he set his TX and RX CTCS to 69.3. Since I didn't see a frequency option in DPL and CSQ I assumed his CTCS and my TPL where the same but I could be mistaken. Like I said I'm just basically wanting to program the CP200XLS with no bells and whistles and do the same with the UV-5R so I can test the TX and RX function of the CP200XLS but the UV-5R is a new creature to me.

David

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”