CPS and Tablets

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KI4RGV
What radios do you own?: ASpectras/XTS1500/5K/XPR6550

CPS and Tablets

Post by KI4RGV »

Does anyone use or have feedback on using a lower end windows 8 tablet with APX or ASTRO 25 CPS?

I just ordered a cheap one from Best Buy for $50 to give it a shot. I'm going to have to use a MicroUSB to USB convertor, but other than that, in theory, it should work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete.
Peter R. Pisano, W4PRP
Fort Lauderdale, FL
tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

Re: CPS and Tablets

Post by tsunami_australia »

Would it actually have the raw processing power?
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Do you know if it has RT or full windows? What processor and ram? I am using a Dell Venue 11 Pro with W8.1, i5 vPro and 4gb ram and it works better than most desktops running APX but it sure wasn't cheap. I wouldn't try anything less than an i3 on large codeplugs. Please report back what you got for $50.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
mike m

Post by mike m »

I use a 100 dollar Dell venue 8 with 32 bit win8.1and running xst5000 cps and I haven't experienced any issues.
KI4RGV

Post by KI4RGV »

I purchased a Digiland DL701Q 8" tablet from Best Buy ($49.95). I also purchased a Samsung MicroUSB to USB Female adapter ($19.99). Using OEM cables, I was able to run all my "Win" scanner software, the latest CPS for ASTRO 25 Portable and MotoTRBO, without any issues. I was able to read and write. Went very smooth. I am installing APX CPS as I type this. This software is a beast as we all know. When I am able to test it, most likely sometime this week, I'll let you guys know. Hopefully I wont be that guy asking what these "Fail" codes mean. LOL

Peter.
Peter R. Pisano, W4PRP
Fort Lauderdale, FL
KI4RGV

Post by KI4RGV »

Correction, this is the one I bought: Digiland DL801W

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland-8- ... Id=3478033

Peter.
Peter R. Pisano, W4PRP
Fort Lauderdale, FL
KI4RGV

Post by KI4RGV »

OK, so APX was a failure. I tried 3 times installing it. It could not finish the install for some reason. I'm guessing its the tablets RAM. I have 1GB of RAM and the CPS suggests a minimum of 4GB.

So, that's that, I'm going to have to use a Win 7 or 8.1 laptop if I want to use APX CPS.

Have a good night guys.

Peter.
Peter R. Pisano, W4PRP
Fort Lauderdale, FL
BOBullRadio
New User

Post by BOBullRadio »

I run APX cps and Astro, kenwood and legacy on a surface pro 3 with great results intel i5 with 4 gigs of ram(probably will upgrade to the surface pro 4 and 8 gigs in a year or two) it runs better than my Toughbook ran it
35-K9-1
What radios do you own?: XG-100F, VP900, VP600, APX7K

Post by 35-K9-1 »

I use a Motion Computing tablet to run some older software such as Trunking Pro and Astro CPS.
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Hi Peter,

I use a Surface Pro 3 with 8gb of ram. It runs everything just fine. For the older /\/\ prograns I run WinXP in emulation.

Marshall

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”