MCS2000 - possible to run without control head?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

codefoxed
New User

MCS2000 - possible to run without control head?

Post by codefoxed »

Hi,

I've been given an MCS2000 model M01RHM9PW5BN, which is (as I understand it) a UHF 403-470, 25W, with Model II control head (1x14 display and rotary knob).
Sadly, sometime in its life the radio was upgraded with a remote head kit, and both the head and cable are now missing.

Is it possible to power up this radio, connect it to CPS and see if it is at least basically functioning before I go down the road of trying to get a control head for it (which seem to be like hen's teeth)?

Sadly I don't have any accessory connectors (or rather I have a connector housing plugged into the radio but no crimp terminals), but I do have a connector which can mate with the radio side of the remote control head connector, if I can find a pinout or wiring diagram.

Cheers,
Phil.
tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

Re: MCS2000 - possible to run without control head?

Post by tsunami_australia »

I believe they required the head. You will also need an accy connector to bypass the emergency jumpers. Just because it WAS remote doesn't mean it has to stay that way. You should be able to find the fascia adapter plate for a local head easy enough. Just unclip the remote face off, clip in the local fascia then clip in the local head.

Many of these left the factory as a remote straight up (was an ordering option I'd imagine as was with the XTL and is with the APX) so it wouldn't be "the radio was upgraded" rather it more likely never was a local to start with.
codefoxed
New User

Re: MCS2000 - possible to run without control head?

Post by codefoxed »

I've just checked -- the radio has actually got an accessory connector plugged in, and it has the emergency and internal speaker jumpers in place. I didn't notice it because it looked like a chassis blanking plate... then I noticed it was possible to pull it out...
If I wanted to do anything with the acc plug, I'd have to get some more crimps or butcher a DB25 plug. I have a source of acc plug kits (body, plug and five crimps) on a few days wait, but I'm averse to spending money on something that might be a brick :)

I didn't realise the MCS2000 was available with remote head as a factory option -- although thinking about it, that makes a lot of sense.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”