Astro tac receiver COR

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

efc
What radios do you own?: cdm 1250

Astro tac receiver COR

Post by efc »

Hello,

I have a conventional VHF receiver that I need a COR output, a low,to key up a UHF cm300 in a UHF wireless link for a voting system.I have the manual,I cannot seem to find this on the receiver.Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
John
Bill_G

Re: Astro tac receiver COR

Post by Bill_G »

You have to assign to an i/o in the wild card tables. I'll look for how I did it years ago. Have to dig up an old laptop.
efc

Post by efc »

That is what I suspected,just did not find it yet,now I did download the latest Quanta astro software from MOL,because I have a windows 7 machine now.
Thanks Bill,lol,I had a feeling you would respond.Thsnks again.
John
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

John -

I dug out Ye Olde Toshiba with archives of a UHF data system I built in the early 90's that required carrier det out of conventional Quantar Astro-TAC receivers. Digging through my notes, and the codeplugs, I had to configure the rcvrs as Trunking 6809 Smartnet to get RSTAT working. I did not do it through the wildcard like I previously thought. In fact, the wildcard is disabled in these receivers.

Under Service - Hardware Config - System Type, I defined the station as Trunking 6809 Smartnet even though it was going to be used as a conventional CSQ receiver for inbound 2440 baud FSK data. Then, under Change/View - 6809 Trunking - RSTAT, I set it for Normal which gave me a working COR line out the aux i/o port in back.

Looking at the base stations used in the system, I did something different. They had Enhanced Wildcard enabled, and in the Wildcard table I used RX CAR DETECT to set or clear output 3. Pretty straight forward.

Going back to the rcvr codeplugs, after enabling the Wildcard, I found a series of wildcard tables I must have tried to use before going with the 6809. One of them says RX QUAL MET to set and clear output 7. RX CAR DETECT is an also available choice. Must not have worked since I did something else. Nothing in my notes about what didn't work. Just emphasis on using 6809 in the rcvrs.

So, definitely a challenge to get COR out of an AstroTAC apparently even though it says it's available in the wildcard tables. Give it a whirl. It may work perfectly for you.
efc

Post by efc »

Bill,Thanks much!I know exactly of what you speak.I looked a bit this weekend,saw all that in software.However,like others,I would not have thought to enable the 6809 trunk feature,seeing as how this is not a trunk radio.Thanks again,I will post my results for you and others.!

Thanks Bill.
John
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Post by chartofmaryland »

Afternoon Bill,

The COR function works in any analog configuration without having to enable trunking, unless you want to.

Every time you transmit (analog configuration) you will hear a click in the receiver. This is the RSTAT active which is on PIN 2 on the J7 DB-9 connector to the rear of the chassis.

The cables I have made were just a DB-9 with PIN 2 and PIN 9 with PIN 2 being COR Active Low and 9 being ground.

Should not have any issues
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

And where were you in 1996? (big grin)

Whatever the problem was, that's how I fixed it back then. They have since moved on to a P25 system, and no longer use these. But, the info is probably handy to efc.
efc

Post by efc »

Well,thanks for all input,here is what I did to enable this:
J11. on back of the receiver,RJ 45:

PIN 5 TO GROUND,I SECURED TO SCREW ON ASTRO TAC RECEIVER

PIN 6 THEN HAS A LOW WHEN THE RADIO RECEIVES.

Then you can key up whatever radio you like,in my case a CM 200D.Works well,no programming at all.
John
efc

Post by efc »

Thanks again for all input!
John

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”