Using DOS In Programming an HT1000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

LLS207X
New User

Using DOS In Programming an HT1000

Post by LLS207X »

8/1/16
Monday

Hi:
I am running Windows XP. I have all the files to program an HT1000 in a folder on my desktop called "HT1000".
My problem is that I do not know how to run this program.
When I go to Command Prompt, I do not know the string to type to start the program on my Desktop.
i also tried going into Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Nothing worked. I did this because I was told to use pure DOS.
Going into Safe Mode was how I thought you went into DOS.

Thanks
LLS207
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Using DOS In Programming an HT1000

Post by Wowbagger »

No, safe mode has nothing to do with "Pure DOS" in any Windows other than Win3.11, Win95, or Win98.

When people talk about "pure DOS mode", they mean really running MS-DOS on the bare metal, and you cannot do that with WinNT, Win2K, WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8, or Win10, because there is no DOS underneath.

Many older programs for programming radios directly accessed the 16550 UART chip, totally bypassing anything in the operating system. This was done because the radios were very primitive, and the timing on programming them had to be held exactly right or they would be corrupted. However, in Windows (of any version), your program cannot go directly to the hardware; the operating system WILL be involved. As such, any timing the program tries to do will be changed and the ability to program the radio will be compromised.

Newer radios are designed to be more forgiving on the timing, and newer radio service software has been written with the understanding that it must go through the OS serial port services, and cannot directly access the hardware. Moreover, with a USB to RS-232 cable, there is no 16550 that the program can access, which is why a lot of the older programs won't work with such cables.

If the programs you have can work under Windows, you should be able to look inside that directory with the Windows File Manager, and the programs should show up with icons indicating they can run. If they don't, you probably have a bunch of DOS programs. You will need to have a real RS-232 port on your computer, and then you will have to get something like FreeDOS on a CD-ROM and boot from that to run your software.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Go to Bootdisk.com and download a DOS boot disk. Put it in your floppy/CD drive and boot to DOS, make sure your copy of HT1000 resides on it.
HT1000 R3.01.00 (dated April 1998) will run fine on an i5 desktop with a serial port booted to DOS from a bootdisk. Reads and writes HT1000s just fine.
RSS is designed to be run in a DOS environment. Windows XP, NT, 7, etc are not DOS environments.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
To give you a direction of search so ypu know what a trude dos computer is try searching on ebay for example a IBM computer called a 286 or 386 or even a 486 that has DOS 6.0 or 6.2 operating system and they sometimes even have windows 3.1 in them that you can program the Motorola 1225 radios with.
Windows 3.1 is sorta slow but works.
The Dos 6. 0 or 6.2 computer will need the 3.5 diskette in it to get the ht1ooo rss program into the computer.
Many times you can from c:> (known as c prompt) you can select A: Or B: drive and run the rss program from it without putting it on the computers hard drive if you wanted to do that.
Otherwise at C:> youd put the rss program diskette in the diskette drive bay then type in command Copy B:*.* C: ( Theres a space between y and b and also space between * and C ) Press enter key and it should install from diskette onto the dos computers hard drive.
After that's done remove the rss program diskette and at C:> prompt type in HT1000 and you should see the program start up.
Make sure you select the correct comm port in the HT1000 rss computer setup and with your rib and ht1000 program cable hooked up and ht1000 radio on program cable you should be able to read the radio as a test to see if working.
Or off of HT1000 rss program diskette switch to B:> if that's your diskette drive by typing dos command at C:> prompt as cd/b: I think it is or cd\b: and if you had a program diskette in the drive it would switch to reading of that drives info on diskette and from B:> prompt type in HT1000 and press enter and program should start up off of diskette only.
Now some rss programs wont let yopu run from diskette but most will and if yours doesn't then install in the dos computers hard drive.
You will need a Radio Interface Box (RIB) and Ht1000 program cable as well or a RIBLESS design HT1000 program cable that has the rib built in it actualy.
IBM wasn't the only company that made dos computers back in the early 1980s so look at AST 386 or simply search 386 dos computer on ebay for other manufacturers.
Hope this helps rather than further confuse you.
Satelite
LLS207X
New User

Post by LLS207X »

Wowbagget, I believe that was the best answer to a question I've ever received on any forum. And I'm 62, so I've been in many forums over the years. Thanks, I never new how to access dos. I use to have towers and programmed my HT1000 and MTS2000 through that. Now that I only have a laptop (win xp) and an iPad, I'm stuck.
I just recently bought the USB to RS232 connector. It works without problem on the laptop.
Thanks again for the information. It was perfect.

LLS207
Los Angeles
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I have been programming the old Motorola radios using DOS for years. One of the big things here is that the computer has a serial port built into it. The other thing I do is to make sure it has a 3.5 inch floppy drive or you can install one. I keep a good stock of older computer parts around for just these purposes.

I try and see if I can locate the drivers for the computer for Windows XP. This way I can run DOS from a floppy drive and run Windows XP to allow me to transfer files between other computers. Over the years I have found that you can run higher clock speeds in the computer if you make sure the cache is shut off. To make sure the cache is shut off, I found a small program called "cacheoff.com". i load the program before starting the Motorola DOS software. Makes a big difference.

Look at the motherboard in the computer and find the board make and model number. Then get on the Internet and search for the board information like user manual and driver. Once you find them, you ready to go. But there is one thing that is important here. The hard drive can't be any larger than 80 GB and has to be formatted as a FAT32 format. This way DOS can use it for saving files and you can still use Windows XP on the same drive. I generally make 2 different partitions on the drive. About 20 GB space for DOS in one partition and the other with what is left for Windows.

You make a boot floppy with something like DOS 6.2. You can find it also on the Internet and download it.

It takes some effort and you now have a computer to program the old Motorola radios like Spectra, Syntor X9000 and some of the old portables.

Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Also, if your computer/laptop doesn't have a floppy or CD drive, you should be able to boot from a bootable USB stick. We have a sticky on this very subject in this forum:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=55522
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

Sounds like there may be a need, for some DOS laptops to get resurrected, from the computer bone yard.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - Sledge Hammer
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
And I couldn't agree with you more .
I personaly have refurbished/repaired several dos lap tops just for this very reason above.
The best option is a Pure DOS 6.2 computer period.
Motorola specs was dos 6.2 running at no faster than 25 MHz clock speed.
And they had a reason for it -- IT WORKED BEST.
You can run faster on emulated dos platforms yes but you see and read those I bricked/corrupted my radio with the famous question NOW WHAT ?
Do what ever your going to do but make sure you read successfully a code plug and save it so that you have the answer to saving your radios butt when things go awry.
Satelite
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

When I was still working for a railroad, as well as when I worked at a local 2-way shop, each had a dedicated PC or Laptop, which was set aside specifically, for the purposes of programming the radios that had DOS-based software. Whether it was Motorola, GE-Ericsson, or EF Johnson, they were all programmed with our DOS computer. At the railroad we used a laptop with DOS, when we programmed our R.R. Spectra's, MT1000's, HT1000's, Maxtrac's, GM300's, M120's, & GE Monogram's/Maxon's. The 2-way shop used a 386DX machine, which ran at 40 MHz (Turbo) or 20 MHz (non-Turbo), had 20 MB of RAM, with a 500 – 800 MB Hard Drive, running DOS 6.2 or 6.22. When the windows-based software came out, they added a second PC for the newer software, but never messed with, or changed the DOS setup. Don’t mess with things that aren’t broken.

These days, building or buying a DOS computer is a bit tougher proposition. EBay, Hamfests, or an ‘Old-School’ Computer Stores (that have been around for 15-20 years) are probably the main resources to choose from, with the latter being the best choice. Unfortunately, most of the old-school computer stores in our area closed up, thanks in part to the likes of Walmart, Best Buy/Geek Squad, & Nerds on Call. New stores wouldn’t have the older equipment around, or the experience to even know what it was or how to service it.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - Sledge Hammer

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”