GP900 Charger Fried...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Sparky67
New User

GP900 Charger Fried...

Post by Sparky67 »

Hi all,
There is a small block which appears to be across the mains input which has fried on my GP900 6-way charger PSU. Can anyone tell me what it was please so I can hopefully replace it?
Thanks.
Sparky67
Satelite

Re: GP900 Charger Fried...

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I'm not familiar with the GP900 charger but what you describe is in most chargers.
On the 120 volt power input to the chargers components they commonly place a component called a varistor in across the neutral and power feed lines.
In its good state it will be open if measured by an ohm meter but in bad defective state it will be a closed circuit on a ohm meter meaning it shorted to neutral to blow the fuse to protect the charger.
So with charger working fine there is no over current to blow varistor to ground short .
When a problem does occur the charger pulls too much current blowing the varistor to protect the balance of the chargers components.
And with it bad you blow fuses everytime till the varistor is replaced and problem if it still exzists is repaired as well.
If it was say a shorted bad battery you tried to chg that blew the varistor then with battery out and varistor replaced cgr should work as good again.
Now for test you can cut one leg of the blown shorted to neutral varistor so its not in the circuit and if everything else is good the charger should work again but don't put bad battery back in if it was the problem.
Youl need to decide if battery was the cul[rit or something like a transient power surge did it from the power companies line or whatever you come up with.
But if chgr does work again after cutting on leg to open circuit then do replace it so it will protect you next time.
Satelite
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello
More I think on it you might be referring to a ceramic resistor block that most are white in color but they too work on the same principle as above and you should be able to replace with either style with correct specs and work again.
Can test same way as above as well.
Satelite
Sparky67
New User

Post by Sparky67 »

Thanks for the suggestions satelite.
I have just cleaned it up and it appears to have a number of caps in it. Anyone have a cct / parts list and can ID it and/or the cap values and configuration for me please? Should be easy to fix if I can get the values and layout.
Thanks
Sparky67

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”