New P1225 batteries don't fit in programming stand

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sataraid1

New P1225 batteries don't fit in programming stand

Post by sataraid1 »

Hello, bit of a stupid question here.

I recently got a great deal on some new, current-date OEM Ni-MH batteries for my P1225s. All my old NiCads had long since croaked and gone off to recycling. With the new batteries in hand, I wanted to blow the dust of the P1225s and get them back in operation.

Problem is, the new batteries don't fit in the programming stand. They have tabs on the back corners that the IntelliCharge will accommodate, but the programming stand will not.

I have some junk IntelliChargers shells in the parts bin, and could easily swap out the top shell of the programmer, but I'd like to be sure I'm not going to end up damaging anything, or degrading the performance of the new batteries. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but those tabs must be there for a reason.

I would think inserting a chemistry-mismatched battery in the programmer for the short time needed to pull or program a codeplug wouldn't hurt anything, but that's not been my luck recently. I suppose I could swap the shells and simply not connect the programming stand to power, but it's been so long since I've used it I honestly can't remember if it will operate without wall current, and I don't have any old batteries to test it with.

Thanks in advance.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: New P1225 batteries don't fit in programming stand

Post by com501 »

The programming stand works just fine when connected to the RIB, no power required. We just Dremeled the stands out a little so it wasn't so hard to put the radios in the programmer.
sataraid1

Re: New P1225 batteries don't fit in programming stand

Post by sataraid1 »

Thanks for the info. Rather than modify the shell on the programmer, I just swapped it out with the spare IntelliCharge. Probably took more time to find and excavate the parts than to make the swap. It's all working just fine now.

I appreciate your response!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”