Syntor X9000, always in Carrier Squelch?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

syntor9k
New User
What radios do you own?: Syntor X9000, Spectras, EFJ...

Syntor X9000, always in Carrier Squelch?

Post by syntor9k »

Hi all;

I just found I have a Syntor X9000 that's always in Carrier Squelch?

I Thought that what the possibility I've never noticed. Unlikely. I decided to try one more mic (I had tried two, one had no mic audio), on the 3rd mic tried the mic on hook gave proper muting. What's the chance, that 3 mics are bad?

Is this common?
Bill_G

Re: Syntor X9000, always in Carrier Squelch?

Post by Bill_G »

If I recall, SynX9K used a mic with button to close the hangup switch rather than grounding the through the mic clip. Could be the mic, or mic cord, or anywhere along the mic hangup line - thru the ctrl head, ctrl cable, radio interconn brd, over to uP.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Only the DTMF mics had the button on the back for HUB on/off. You can use those or a standard Spectra mic with a grounded clip on a Syntor 9000.

On mine I jumpered the pins on the back of the connector in the head to force it into a HUB-disabled state.
syntor9k
New User

Post by syntor9k »

OK. My bad. I knew about the grounded hanger thing (HUB). But I thought that the shell of the hanger was ground and the tip of the hanger was HUB. When you hung it on the mic clip, it shorted the two, and then it was in coded squelch mode. It appears, this is not the case for the mics I have. Are there specific models of spectra (or SyntorX9K) mics that are the way I described? I have the DTMF PCA in the radio, so I don't need a DTMF mic.
Cars don't have grounds near the dash, the way old cars have. Otherwise, I guess I could open the mic and wire the HUB always grounded.
I'm looking for a specific model number mic.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Motorola has used several methods at the mobile microphone to enable coded squelch:

The button on the back of the mike...
1. must make contact with chassis ground (a metal clip screwed to a metal chassis).
2. must make contact with a larger metallic outer ring around it (a metal clip that doesn't need to be grounded).
3. must activate a switch or contact inside the hang-up box (microswitch or leaf switch) which grounds the hang-up line going back to the radio control head (can use a single wire plus grounded mount or a pair of wires).

A plastic clip or a metal clip that's not grounded usually won't do it unless the mike has the concentric grounded hang-up ring on the back.

There's an article about hang-up mechanisms that covers this topic on www.repeater-builder.com, in the Motorola area, MaxTrac section.

Bob M.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

syntor9k wrote: I'm looking for a specific model number mic.
Tl;dr every microphone made with a Spectra-style connector needs a grounded clip for HUB operation, with the exception of the DTMF mic which had a retractable button built in to the microphone itself.
syntor9k
New User

Post by syntor9k »

I dont know what tl;dr is?
Bummer about the grounding part...
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The first part is just a typo
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Not a typo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... n%27t_read

Too bad the older radios weren't as flexible as modern models are, with regard to HUB programming.
d119

Post by d119 »

syntor9k wrote:I dont know what tl;dr is?
Too long, didn't read.
syntor9k
New User

Post by syntor9k »

Copy.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Oh no, am I showing my millenial-ness here? :lol:

Thankfully the Syntor 9K was the only radio that wouldn't let you program permanent HUB in programming AND required a grounded mic clip. All the others used Maxtrac-style mics which self-grounded.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”