99ch MT1000 with sp 88 error

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

saberjerk

99ch MT1000 with sp 88 error

Post by saberjerk »

I have a VHF MT1000 with the 88 vco unlock error. Only this radio is behaving very strangely. I see the sp 88 error pop up when turning on the radio. Doesn't seem to matter what channel it was left on. But when scrolling through the channels if you reach channel 88 the radio locks up. You can't do anything. Turn off and back on and still locked on sp 88. I'm not sure what the little sp before the 88 means ? The only solution I've found is to reprogram the radio and avoid channel 88. Or to delete all channels like 85 and above. I've never seen anything like this. Does anyone know what's going on ? One thing I haven't checked is to open the radio and verify the synthesizer band split. There is a 146-162 code plug in it. But I've seen people dump that code plug into a 157-174 radio. Any ideas ?
saberjerk

Re: 99ch MT1000 with sp 88 error

Post by saberjerk »

Did I post this in the wrong place ? Or just nobody knows about these old radios ?
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

I own a couple of low band MT1000s (& need new batteries), but I can't say that I've ever run across that error. Repeater Builder is an excellent source of information, on the older radio gear. Here are some useful links, for the MT1000 Genesis-Series Radios:

MT1000 Operating Instructions:
- http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... 1c35-d.pdf

The MT1000 VHF/UHF Instruction Manual (& Service Manual):
- http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... tr-man.pdf

Color pages from The MT1000 VHF/UHF Instruction Manual:
- http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... -pages.pdf

I haven't looked through all the documents, but this would be a good place to start your search. They are solid radios, built from a time when mother /\/\ was 'the source' for well-designed, & very durable radio equipment. That being said, as time moves on, finding folks, who support these older radios is going to be challenging. With no support from Motorola, and limited parts availability, keeping the Genesis-Series Radios in good working order is not as easy, as it once was.

- trg, 8)
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - Sledge Hammer
saberjerk

Post by saberjerk »

Thanks train radio guy. there is a mention of error 88 in repeater builder. pl out of lock.
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

Assuming your MT1000 has the correct code plug, for that specific model & band split (i.e. VHF-Low, VHF-High, or UHF), it might be simply a matter of reprogramming the radio, so that it operates within the band limits of that model (hardware-wise). If on the other hand, someone had managed to 'shove' the wrong code plug into the radio, you may have a problem.

In years past, when these radios were still in regular use, we could fix the later problem, by cloning another radio of the same model into target or suspect radio. Fast-forward to the present day, and these radios are not as commonplace. There are or were websites, which hosted generic code plugs, that could be used as a template or example, to fix 'soft' problems, for radios such as these. I don't know if any of those sites even exist anymore, since it's been over ten years, since I had a problem of this nature with a GTX-900 Mobile.

In my case, I had a GTX-900 mobile - LTR & High Power, but the radio thought it was Privacy Plus & Low Power. I had to do some fancy footwork software-wise. Fortunately, several experienced members of the Bat Board had already traveled down this road, and pointed me in the right direction. Their efforts, along with a little research paid-off, & I was able to clone the correct code plug into my radio, returning it to it's 'rightful' state-of-mind.

Assuming your radio suffers from the same sort of problem as mine did, try to locate a code plug for your band split of the VHF-High MT1000. Read-out & backup your current code plug, so you can restore things back, if should something go awry. Then you can proceed with cloning the new code plug into your radio. Program some test frequencies, and see if the original issue - PLL out of Lock (SP on display) continues to persist, or is gone. If this doesn't solve the issue, you can always write-back-in your original code plug (that you had backed-up), so hopefully no ground was lost in the process.

Your mileage with this solution can vary, so keep that in-mind as well. Good Luck!
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - Sledge Hammer

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”