MCS2000 Programming issue

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JohnF_au
New User

MCS2000 Programming issue

Post by JohnF_au »

Hi all

First time poster (and just joined) long time M user!

I have an issues trying to program a MCS2k. I run XP Pro as a VM under Win7. It works well with all the other M radios i have (GM350, 950, 950+....).

I see the PC talking to the radio (that lovely LED on the RIB) but nothing coming back from the radio. I have checked the cable, have made multiple cables, I even bought one...but I get the same error...Cannot communicate with the radio!

Any hints/tips? Its getting a bit frustrating as I want to use the 2 radios I have...rather than a door stop and a paper weight!

TIA.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: MCS2000 Programming issue

Post by N4KVE »

Buy a used XP laptop. Plenty around for $50. End of problem. OTOH, I once owned a MCS2000, & I couldn’t get it to program through the mike jack. I had to program it through the acc jack on the bottom of the radio. GARY.
fineshot1

Re: MCS2000 Programming issue

Post by fineshot1 »

N4KVE wrote:OTOH, I once owned a MCS2000, & I couldn’t get it to program through the mike jack. I had to program it through the acc jack on the bottom of the radio. GARY.
After having to work on a large fleet of MCS2K radios over the years I can tell you that
was mostly due to many of these radios were mounted below an area where the coffee
cup holders were and the mic jack contacts were often corroded due to the many times
of being partially temporarily submerged with either coffee or soda from dropped cup
contents, and some of the times we actually discovered a true regulator issue in the
control heads that would effect programming communications that had no effect on
microphone usage so it would sometimes be an unknown issue until someone went
to program the radio. We always had a second program cable for the accessory connector
for this reason. Corrosion issues were also on the control head circuit board as well.
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”