Help with buying rss from Motorola

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ICEMANTIM

Help with buying rss from Motorola

Post by ICEMANTIM »

I have seen it somewhere but i can not find it now. Can you buy a copy of the rss software from Motorola. I would like to buy a copy for out fire department. Does anyone have the phone number so i can buy a legal copy. Also what is the cost (ballpark). Thanks Tim

Post by 601 »

Motorola will sell their RSS to anyone who agrees to the terms and is willing to pay the price. Price of software depends on what type of radio you have. The lowest price i've seen is for the MCX1000, which is somewhere around $60. Newer radio software can cost many times that amount.
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

HI:

The " Only " way to purchase Motorola Radio Service
Software is through Motorola ( Period )

AND, you MUST 1st get the License application which
is a RPX4719G ( which is Free ) or if you need the CPS
ask for the current License pacakge ( as I can not recall )
it at this time. Send it in, once approved, you can purchase
" Any " RSS under that license.

Anyhow, you can call 1-800-422-4210 ask for the Information
and they will send it to you for Free.

The Radio Servcie Software is pretty steep, However, you
do get the assurance it will work, and you will get FREE updates
for 1 year. This is especially helpfull for the later model radios..

Price can range from around 100.00 ~ 300.00 depending on what
series of radios you have.

Also, its a real good idea to have a very Stable Program Platform
to work from.....These later model radios are can easily be corrupted with Nip-Clip style programming cables....

Just a word of caution.

Monty
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

RSS is easy to get licensed for. CPS which ironically stands for Customer (or Consumer?) Programming Software is a bear.
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

That's not totally true, at least not up here in Canada...

When I first got into Motorola, I contacted Motorola to see how much an RSS package for my Radius M208 would run me.

Anyway, Motorola basically told me to F.O. when they found out it was for personal stuff, not for a business.

I know my local fire department, where I used to live, basically got told the same thing when they tried to get a license for RSS for their HT1000 radios.

Maybe things have changed in the last 4 years, but knowing Big M....I doubt it.

M
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

It seems from the stories I've heard here, that the buying of RSS/CPS is similar to the performance of a Minitor III/IV. Sometimes yes, sometimes maybe, sometimes no.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny »

When I filled out the license agreement, it took about a week for it to be approved. None of the horror stories which I have read about here regarding the protection of Motorola's dealers, etc. I believe the free updates are for two or three years depending on the package. Then you can renew it. As for pricing, it is radio dependent. The higher the tier it is, the higher the price.

Bugs
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

In the US it's fairly consistent, RSS yes. I've been told that CPS applications need an approval on a regional basis so it may vary in your area but it's no in mine (FL).
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

HI:

I see from the responses, some clarification may be
in order.

When a ( Individule ) or ( Business ) desires the
Radio Servcie Software, its " How " you go about
it that determines if Motorola will grant the request.

If you are perhaps a very young individule, and or
just scribble the information on the license pacakge,
yes you may have a problem.

However, if you [ Type ] out all the required information
and even perhaps add a Sales Slip of the radio you purchased,
there is a better than even chance your rss will go through.

I know of a few individules that are under 18 and well, they
managed to get it processed since they also used a professional
approch.

Its really " How " you submit the forms, and if you include a
Prepaid Check....( as from even a Business ) that will always
help.

The reall issues are Motorola just wants to " Know " who has
and uses their Software, and that the person who is licensed
does not sell copies. All pretty basic.

Follow the rules, no problems, cause a hassle, disagree with
the terms, well, it will bounce.

Monty
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Any tips on obtaining the CPS license ?
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

CPS

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Motorola, as a matter of policy, does not like the idea that "the" equipment can be abused.
The policy has always been this way.
I know of a salesman who got fired for selling a radio to a person who had not the license for the frequency, never mind everything else was correct, this was a MT500, so it was "rock bound".

However, "The policy" can be strange, I have several "green"( Moto-Military" radios, when I try to get service info' moto' says it can not release this, it is controlled, to include secret, for, in one case, a radio that dates to before WWII.!?.
The military manuals, on motorola radios, come with S/W, Motorola has no control over this S/W, as the agreement of license does not apply to government sales, and so subsequent sales, i.e., I can do whatever I want with whatever original media I have, just can not copy it.
There is a military variant of just about everything moto' makes, but the S/W is not the same, the military has no band limits.

Thank You.
mavericknet
What radios do you own?: HT1250 VHF, CDM1550 UHF

Here's a question

Post by mavericknet »

Can I obtain CPS or RSS for my business (from Moto of course), and go about selling services as radio repair, without being a motorola dealer. I know this would undercut their local dealer, but right now people are mailing their radios to other dealers just to get away from the local dealer. I do work with radios for one agency, but I use the software that is licensed to them ( I only do other radios if the chief of the department presents it to me as belonging to the department).
MADDOGMAX

Post by MADDOGMAX »

i agree with northyork20, every time i tryed i got a no or the run around
even tried to setup an account."no" dealer only :o you motorla i get it elese were. :wink:if my money is not good enough for you. if motorla made thier stuff more like kenwood and the others and not so hard to get or buy there would be less pirate stuff of /\/\ out there on the internet.
E911EMT
What radios do you own?: Icom ICF3061, Kenwood TK2180

Post by E911EMT »

People think it is easy to get RSS itis not there a is a long process and they will not sell to anyone. they will only sell to companys or a indivual who have a good reason why.
E911EMT
718 this is EMS
Can You Hear me Now?
PCSAR 4x4 652

Post by PCSAR 4x4 652 »

I agree with Maddogmax.....
Not everyone can afford the M Shop's 75.00/hour charge to program a radio everytime there is a freq change or addition. If you take Search & Rescue for example, they have to buy thier own equipment. ESAR is mostly teenagers (14 - 21) and most of them can't afford that. :x

They don't even support most of thier products anymore, but "screw you" if you want/need anything for it. :evil:

I see more and more agencies going to other manufacturers because of Motorola's "Screw you" policy. :o

Motorola needs to get a clue if they don't want to lose a large customer base to GE, Uniden, Kenwood, Relm, Yeasu/ Vertex, etc.
T. Freeman
Pierce Co. Sheriff SAR 4x4 Unit 652
Tactical Area Communications Unit 705
E911EMT
What radios do you own?: Icom ICF3061, Kenwood TK2180

Post by E911EMT »

I have to agree with th above. Motorola has been slacking and very messed up. because they are offering products that are very poor. Vertex Standard offers a better warrenty and radio then motorola and they stand behind there product. I will always have a Motorola because i have had one for many years but i will use my Vertex Standard because i trust it more.
E911EMT
718 this is EMS
Can You Hear me Now?
jim

Post by jim »

If "M" would sell their ENTIRE software collection for $52.00 like Vertex, pirating would become a thing of the past and their sales would soar. That's the same as a music CD- if they cost only $4.00, it wouldn't be worth downloading or copying. At the same time, they need to drop their "god" complex and stop trying to be software Nazis and sell to ANYONE that is willing to fork over thier cash.

If you can't buy a service manual for your new car, furnace or barbeque grill, why would you even consider that brand if you have no support? Would you buy a computer when you can't get software to operate it? Why buy a radio that you can't buy software for?

Hey Motorola....IF YOU WON'T SELL RSS TO PEOPLE, THEY WILL PIRATE, STEAL, COPY, DOWNLOAD OR WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET IT IN ORDER TO PROGRAM THAT RADIO YOU JUST SOLD THEM!!!!
IF YOU MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO ALL AT A REASONABLE PRICE, THEY WILL BUY IT LEGALLY!

Where do they come off selling a program that's 20 years old for $70.00? I can see spending 70 bucks for the entire collection of ancient relic DOS programs for out of production radios, but this?

Kenwood, ICOM and Vertex already figured this out. Why can't "M"[/u]
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Acquiring RSS...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

First of all, Motorola does not SELL RSS. They license it to you, or your company, which means they give you permisison to USE something which theoretically will always belong to them and not to you. At one time this might have made sense, but in today's world it makes much less sense, especially when serious competitors make RSS available on a sensible basis for little or no money.

The Vertex Windows-based RSS is easier to use than the Motorola, to start with.

I once had my company purchasing agent order and purchase RSS for the GP300/350. We said flat out on the applications that we had 40 radios and were tired of having to use the dealer for our programming work. They didn't say a word but just sent us the book and disk after about a four week wait.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
PCSAR 4x4 652

Post by PCSAR 4x4 652 »

If I pay money for something and am told it is "Mine for Life"
and that I cannot "resell, give, trade or lend" to someone else I consider that a "SALE" not a "Rental of Services."
Being "Licensed" is taking/passing a test and paying a nominal fee, like your Ham License or Concealed Weapons License.
Motorola lost thier customer base and in effect has had to raise the price ofthier product to an unbelievably high price.
You don'y always get what you pay for! In the end, that GE M-PA radio did the same thing the mts2000 did and cost the customer less money than the Motorola did. A lot less.
T. Freeman
Pierce Co. Sheriff SAR 4x4 Unit 652
Tactical Area Communications Unit 705
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Here's a question

Post by kc7gr »

mavericknet wrote:Can I obtain CPS or RSS for my business (from Moto of course), and go about selling services as radio repair, without being a motorola dealer.
I would think so, because this is exactly what I'm doing (for RSS anyway!) ;-) See http://www.bluefeathertech.com/rf.html

I think what made the difference for me (I had no trouble at all with getting the license agreement signed off, nor with establishing a dealer/reseller account) is that my initial approach to Motorola was that of a home-based business looking to expand a bit.

Also, I specialize in work for the local ham radio community, in terms of programming and conversions, at a rate considerably lower than most commercial shops. Since ham-band programming often takes the equipment out of its specified bandsplit, something not many (if any) commercial shops are willing to try, I was no threat to the local dealers at all. In fact, I have to wonder if any of them were relieved at having somewhere to direct "Those Crazy Hams." ;-)

In short: Although I'm licensed for commercial work, and have the same test equipment as most shops, I prefer to stay away from it (at least as far as Blue Feather is concerned -- I have worked for actual Motorola shops in the past, and I would consider doing so again). Perhaps that's why I was able to get my account opened so easily.

73 de KC7GR.
BrentLA

Post by BrentLA »

M had no problem with selling to me. They faxed me the agreement and I had to mail it back to them (ALL of the pages). They were more than happy to take my credit card number and ship me the software. Not a single question asked of what I wanted it for. I bought it for my personal use under my name. I had no special connections to M. I simply called information for the 800 number and was transferred to the correct person.
They looked up the part number (actually the most difficult part of the deal...somewhat inept at that) and said that they would ship it as soon as I was approved. I did ask them what could effect being approved. They said "It depends on what you put on your application". Strange since all I put on it was my name, phone, address, and signature. Anyway.... Good luck to all of you and keep trying.
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

HI:

Also, for another alternative to the high costs assocaited
with Motorola RSS , what " Several " Ham Groups, Clubs,
and organizations, just pitch in a few bucks, and they get the
RSS after the License gets approved.

What they then do, is place it on ( 1 ) Computer. From there
they share the dedicated computer between themselves, and
this way " All "can enjoy Virus Free RSS, and get all the " Newest"
updates as required.

Since most do not " reprogram" their radios on a day to day
basis, one justs " checks out " the Computer as needed, they
have all the factory stuff, and eliminates the need for a dealer
to reprogram the radio(s) for 10-20 persons, and they stay
100% within the license aggrement.

MS
ServerTech

Post by ServerTech »

Well, I can now be added to the growing number of people who have been turned down for an HT Professional Series CPS license... :cry:
Considering that I had a very slim chance of obtaining a license in the first place, I'm not too surprised. It's still disappointing.

At least I didn't get too anxious and buy an HT1550 before I tried to purchase the software. That would have been one more radio I would have to unload. However just recently I had come across an EX500 UHF high split radio and now I have no choice but to sell it...

If I can't get a CPS license for MT2000 or Astro Saber/XTS3000 radios... Dare I say it???

Vertex or Kenwood, here I come!

Russ
maxjam

RSS paperwork

Post by maxjam »

I have had the license for the older RSS but am going for the CPS stuff.
What did those that have the RSS and are not a business do when Motorola asked for a state tax id?
kdean7

Post by kdean7 »

Told them I did not have one and that I was using it to program my personal radio.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”