CDM Mobiles slow to open up RX audio.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

QFL

CDM Mobiles slow to open up RX audio.

Post by QFL »

I work in a MSS, and I am getting a strange complaint from one of my customers. I know I can come to you guys & get some good feedback! He says that his small fleet of CDM1550 radios are slow to open up the Receive audio - especially while scanning. I would naturally expect a small delay, but when I tested the CDM against an HT1550 I found that the mobile was indeed slower opening up than the HT. I have gone over the RSS in the radio completely, and minimized the size of their scan list. the primary channel also uses DPL for CTCSS. this helped some, but the customer is still complaining that the HT1550 is still opening up Approx. 600ms once in a while, and it is a growing nuisence. I have called the big /\/\ about this and they said "We will call you back"... I think you guys can beat them to the punch. I know you guys are a smart bunch and are eager to prove it. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!!!

-QFL 8)
Znarx

Post by Znarx »

check to see if the Personality has an MDC system enabled.... if so reduce the DOS time or remove the MDC system if not required

.. DOS will mute the receiver for a set period of time once carrier squelch is detected (default 500ms I believe)

I'm sure someone else will have other ideas...Z
QFL

Post by QFL »

The DOS is disabled. However they are using POST MDC on Tx, Disabled on Rx.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I just ran through the CPS for my CDM1250. I am not able to find anything that would do that. In the MTSX (MTS-2000), there is a setting for "RX Unmute Delay". That is what that sounds like but there is no setting for that in the CDM settings that I can find.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
QFL

Post by QFL »

UPDATE: just for fun I tried reprogramming the unit for Tone Squelch instead of DPL, and I found that this decreased some of the delay. this might be a small thing, but at this point I am willing to try anything.

-QFL
jim

Post by jim »

We had a local dept. that is dispathced on VHF and uses a DPL code on the frequency.

When the center would initiate a dispatch, the radio would sometimes skip a QCII signal. The 'A' tone was 1 second from the center. If you'd disable the tone in receive, the radio would activate the klaxon every time upon receiving a QCII tone set. When the center would dispatch, the instant the transmitter went on the air the tones would generate.

Solution: do away with DPL since these radios do take some time for a DPL decode or.....have the center program a delay between actual transmit keyup and the tone generation sequence. The delay is what they did and it solved our problem. These radios are slow compared to a GM300 or Maxtrac when decoding DPL.

I guess we need the 376th firmware upgrade for the Waris line!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

jim wrote: I guess we need the 376th firmware upgrade for the Waris line!
Maybe...I guess my question would be what firmware version are they (the customer in this thread) currently running? The earlier versions did have several scan issues.

Todd
rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

Post by rrfd43 »

I don't know if it is any help. but.....I use DPL on two freq's at our ambulance base. We noticed that most of the novice operators had problems. We would get the first part of the transmission chopped off. Apparently is takes just a little bit longer for the radio to decode DPL. Slowing the operators down helped out a bit. We have maxtracs, ht1000's, spectra astros, cdm's, MT1000's and MT2000 all do the same thing.
QFL

Post by QFL »

The Firmware in the radios were field upgraded to the latedt & greatest. (Leave it up to motorola to not touch an older version with a 10 foot pole.) That was the first thing we did so that the big /\/\ would attempt to assist us with some other issues we have.
ArmsonOeg

Post by ArmsonOeg »

I have had the same problem on my HT1550. But did fix it to some degree. I was getting up to a full 2 second of carrier with no audio, this was after i started adjusting things. It is mainly in the SCAN LIST section under ADVANCED. The HOLD TIME needs to be 300Ms or less. Disregard the HELP section that states it needs to be EQUAL or GREATER than MDC and PRETIME. Also go to the MDC system under DOS Coast Duration and make it 50 or 75 Ms.............Try this, i spent Many Hours to figure this one out

Gordon
QFL

Post by QFL »

I think I figured it out! The problem is most likely with the Non- Priority Scan members. The owner has loaded up his scan list and is also using priority scan. Whenever this person gets traffic that is important, but not priority, it can intermittently take up to and more than 2 full seconds before the radio will open up! By then, a good chunk of the conversation is lost. One easy fix would be to shorten up the scan list. but do you guys know if this is normal for a CDM (or any other radio for that matter?) 2 full seconds??? :-?

-QFL
Last edited by QFL on Tue May 20, 2003 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Well, I have the whole 16 slot scan list filled on mine and I use Priority. It works fine, it hardly cuts anything off at all.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
ArmsonOeg

Post by ArmsonOeg »

Well like i said i too was getting a full 2 seconds and even caught a couple at about 8 seconds. My partner has a 1550 but his does not seem to have the problem,mabe it's the software: mine is R05.00.03
I remembered what i did and changed things as my above post said. Im also using PRI 1 and PRI 2 and that is one of the problems. One more thing is when a full scan list (16) and both PRI's do not use the sample rate of 750 ms, actually do not even program the priorities on the computer have the user set them up via the keypad. Even though i got mine working better Please let Me/Us know what M says i may need to have mine serviced.
QFL

Post by QFL »

I spoke with /\/\ about it and here is what they had to say:

"If there are priority members, it essentially doubles the time to scan, and a 10-member list could possibly take close to 2 seconds to land on a non-priority member. With signaling or PL, possibly over 3 seconds even."

When I asked for the speciffic sample times, this is what I got:

It "is technical information that I do not believe we have readily available" for distribution. If we see the codeplug, we can estimate the max time to wrap around and hence determine if they are seeing normal behavior or not."

This just comfirms what I thought. Oh well. back to the drawing board.
ArmsonOeg

Post by ArmsonOeg »

Well thats nice...... Here is what mine was doing. I have 16 ch in the scan list and two Priorities, while scanning it stops on Pri 2 but u just see signal no audio on PRI 2. This has been as long as 7 or 8 seconds just depends on ??, by that time the transmission is complete. This also happens on other scan list members although they may not have been as long. I may have mine sent in so they /\/\ can play with it. But like i said i have taken care of it on my own (Previous Post)

Gordo ô¿ô
SonicSounds

Re: CDM Mobiles slow to open up RX audio.

Post by SonicSounds »

I'm going to bump this. I have a WHOLE BUNCH of CDM mobiles that are driving their users absolutely crazy with slow PL decoding. If a CDM and a Maxtrac are put next to each other, the Maxtrac is MUCH faster at decoding the PL, and opening the receiver. The CDM also (not surprisingly) has a long delay on the COR output, which makes it very irritating to use in bi-directional repeaters, because the first part of even the most careful user is cut. Regardless of the application, I'm noticing long lags with these radios. They are NOT scanning and they DO NOT have any MDC systems in use.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Jon
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Can't say I've ever noticed slow PL decode in a CDM as compared to a Maxtrac. I've also used CDM radios in bi-directional repeaters with no noticeable delay on the COR output either. Could you send me a codeplug to have a look at?

wavetar@eastlink.ca

Also, what firmware version(s) are the mobiles using?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Wile E. Coyote
What radios do you own?: The best that low bid can buy.

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I remember hearing a radio urban legend a while back that using higher frequency PL tones will help the radio open up quicker. That may have been true in the vibra-sponder days, but because the CDM uses software to decode the PL/DPL, I would think that it would take the same amount of time regardless. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try it if you have some radios lying around.

-WEC 8)
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost"
a_j_b
What radios do you own?: HT1550XLS, CDM1550LS+, MTS2000

Post by a_j_b »

If your users are NOT using signalling with Data on Squelch (DoS) change this setting. This will keep the radio from trying to detect signalling data before deciding to unmute. This will only effect unmute delay time while in Scan though.

Scan List -> Advanced tab -> Signalling -> Type set to None
Public Safety & LMR RF Systems Engineer
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

We had the same problem with our CDM's... I just backed down the DOS Mute Time and all that in that tab

I think I have it set to 25 and 25 and it works flawless now

No delay at all.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”