Extended freq range on a VHF Systems Saber III? [PLEASE?]

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Extended freq range on a VHF Systems Saber III? [PLEASE?]

Post by k4wtf »

Is there any way to program a Systems Saber III for a 144-163 split? The only think I've found on batlabs thus far says that the old hack in RSS only changed what RSS allowed you to choose but wouldn't actually program the new range to the radio.

I would really like to be able to program the entire 2m band plus NOAA freqs into my VHF Systems Saber III.

Thanks,

John
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

I had systems sabers years ago VHF and UHF and they all worked on ham just fine.

What split is your radio?

The one I had was 146-174 and worked great.

Damn good radio if you just need analog
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Post by k4wtf »

apco25 wrote:I had systems sabers years ago VHF and UHF and they all worked on ham just fine.

What split is your radio?

The one I had was 146-174 and worked great.

Damn good radio if you just need analog
Well, mine are 146-174 and 440-470. On the VHF one, I need 144-16x though. I just need the bottom two Mhz of the 2m band. Otherwise, I lose all of the 145.xx repeaters since they have a -600 split.

The 440-470 rig is just fine the way it is. I simply need to extend the bottom range of the VHF model 2-Mhz. It will work fine down there. I've programmed it as a 136-150.8 split and it works fine down at 144Mhz. When I do that, I lose my public safety and NOAA freqs though.

Thanks,

John
Alpha87A

Re: Extended freq range on a VHF Systems Saber III? [PLEASE?]

Post by Alpha87A »

I am also interested in how to go about expanding my Systems Saber III that is currently 146 to 174 to include 144 Mhz or lower. Maybe it's already been covered here but I am still looking. If there is someone with first hand knowledge please let me know.

Thanks
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

Same boat here.

I have a 148-174 Split Systems Saber that works great across the whole band, but the RSS won't budge much on the limits. Using Version 4 RSS, you can program up to 1mhz above or below the bandsplit limits. Supposedly with Version 3.00.02 dated 1996 you can enter ham frequencies down to 144 just fine.
Jake
Alpha87A

Post by Alpha87A »

Is there anyone that has first hand experiance or knowledge on this subject? I have tried version four of the RSS and I have not been able to successfully expand the band split.

I have a 148-174 Split Systems Saber that works great across the whole band, but the RSS won't budge much on the limits. Using Version 4 RSS, you can program up to 1mhz above or below the bandsplit limits. Supposedly with Version 3.00.02 dated 1996 you can enter ham frequencies down to 144 just fine.[/quote]
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

Try changing the band limits on the RSS on this? Take a look over at http://www.batlabs.comThe main page it should have some information. I have never done it on Systems Saber RSS, but it should be close to the same.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Rev 3 RSS will program down to 140.000

Chris
N9LLO
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

I have a 482 to 512 mhz that I would like to extend down to 476 mhz. I keep on hoping someone will have the directions for modifying the software or codeplug file.......
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

[qoute="txshooter"]Try changing the band limits on the RSS on this? Take a look over at http://www.batlabs.comThe main page it should have some information. I have never done it on Systems Saber RSS, but it should be close to the same.[/quote]

There used to be info on the main site on the subject of hacking Systems Saber bandsplits. It was removed after it turned out that it doesn't work, and it is apparantly different enough from the standard Saber RSS that the same hack doesn't work. If I can ever find a copy of the RSS, I intend to try to hack it. If I have any success, I will certainly make sure to post it here, within an hour of verifying that it works!
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
dbusse
What radios do you own?: XTL, XTS, Saber, Spectra, MTS2

Post by dbusse »

N9LLO wrote:Rev 3 RSS will program down to 140.000

Chris
N9LLO

That's correct. A standard Systems Saber will go 140-180 continuous with a little degradation at the end limits with the version 3 software. I have several programmed just as you have described.

Dan
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

Dan,

How did you get them to cover the entire band. Software modifications, codeplug hack? How did you do it?

radio43
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
dbusse

Post by dbusse »

RADIO43 wrote:Dan,

How did you get them to cover the entire band. Software modifications, codeplug hack? How did you do it?

radio43
The right software. No hacks or radio modifications necessary.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

John,
Check your PM's

Chris
N9LLO
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

How finicky is the Systems Saber about putting a different bandsplit in the codeplug than what it actually is? Would it cause a big problem if I enter a 146-162 bandsplit in a 148-174 radio, using R04 RSS?

kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

My Systems Saber III is a CON-7. There is no CON-7 selection in the "SELECT Radio Model" screen under the "Change/View" menu, and the RSS (R03.00.02) complains about the version mis-match when I try to program the radio. Is there any way around this issue, or am I stuck with a radio that I can't put Ham frequencies in?

Alpha87A

Post by Alpha87A »

kf4sqb wrote:My Systems Saber III is a CON-7. There is no CON-7 selection in the "SELECT Radio Model" screen under the "Change/View" menu, and the RSS (R03.00.02) complains about the version mis-match when I try to program the radio. Is there any way around this issue, or am I stuck with a radio that I can't put Ham frequencies in?
I have the same problem with my Con 7 Sabers when trying version three of the RSS. I can't complain too loud though, I do have 146 to 174, but it would be nice to pick up 144 Mhz. Is there a solution out there?

Thanks
dbusse

Post by dbusse »

Alpha87A wrote:
kf4sqb wrote:My Systems Saber III is a CON-7. There is no CON-7 selection in the "SELECT Radio Model" screen under the "Change/View" menu, and the RSS (R03.00.02) complains about the version mis-match when I try to program the radio. Is there any way around this issue, or am I stuck with a radio that I can't put Ham frequencies in?
I have the same problem with my Con 7 Sabers when trying version three of the RSS. I can't complain too loud though, I do have 146 to 174, but it would be nice to pick up 144 Mhz. Is there a solution out there?

Thanks
Version 3 software and a CON-6 radio will do it. Try swapping the front with a CON-6, especially if you have one in UHF. The UHF radios will do 440-470 as factory spec, so a CON-7 works fine, and the v 4.0 software will convert a CON-6 codeplug to CON-7 on the fly.

Dan

Dan
Alpha87A

Post by Alpha87A »

Is there a software solution to this problem? Just to refresh, I am dealing with a Con 7 VHF 146 - 174 Mhz that I would like to go to 144 Mhz thru 174 Mhz.

Many thanks to those that have responded so far.
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

No, so far, there is no software solution with a CON-7 radio. Your only option is to either swap the front shield out with one from a CON-6 radio and program with R03 RSS, or live with what you have.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”