RR spectra question and request

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

RR spectra question and request

Post by Pj »

On this RR spectra Image there are what appears to be blank spots for extra keys. Are there any options that could go into those spots, or just there for "future" enhancement?

Also, does anyone have a RR Spectra codeplug they can email me? I would like to play around with one. Thanks!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Ask cowthief. He has a lot of exp. with the RR spectras :)
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
larryepage

Post by larryepage »

The only option I am aware of is that for transit operation the radio can drive a public address system / annunciator system in the passenger cars. It's possible that AMTRAK also uses this option.

I have seen a photograph of one unit so equipped, but have never seen or played with one in person. The switch pads are already in place on the front panel circuit board for the optional controls, but I've not seen the part number for the membrane keypad in the service manual.

Regards,
Larry
Larry Page
W5LEP
FCC GROL
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Please save that picture as proof to the lawyers that are going against nextel that PTT has been around for so long its even in railroads (a very old form of commerce in the united states). This is proof that they did not come up with the name and it has been used and accepted extensively in many differnet industries. Notice the button marked PTT on the right hand side. :) Just thought I'd put /\/\ y 2 cents in!
STEVE
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

/\/\y 2 cents wrote:Please save that picture as proof to the lawyers that are going against nextel that PTT has been around for so long its even in railroads (a very old form of commerce in the united states). This is proof that they did not come up with the name and it has been used and accepted extensively in many differnet industries. Notice the button marked PTT on the right hand side. :) Just thought I'd put /\/\ y 2 cents in!
STEVE
All of this talk about Railroad Spectras made me bring out my old Railroad MCX100 radio. It doesn't have a "PTT" button, but it does have an "Xmit" button......the DISP button is there, however.

The MCX100 was built in Canada, maybe that's why.

-Josh
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

PJ, all I can say is that all the RR Spectras on the RR I work for look just like that, as well as a few of Norfolk Southern's and CSX's I've seen. I've always seen the "blanks", but never thought about them. Now you've got me wondering......
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

That's why I would like a copy of a codeplug. Gotta be something else for expansion or other not so well know features.

If I get my RR job, I may be able to figure it out down the road :)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

PJ, whatever you find, make sure you post it! I'd like to know, too.

motohead

SPectra Clean Cab and CTCSS subaudible tone

Post by motohead »

Does the Spectra Railroad have PL and CTCSS for repeater use or is it audible tone and DTMF only?
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

If I'm not badly mistaken, it will indeed do PL. Maybe in the next month, I can find the time to pull a codeplug from one of our's, and send a copy to anyone who wants to play with it.

Radio99

RR Spectra

Post by Radio99 »

Yes the Railroad Spectra will do PL and DPL on a "per channel" basis.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Option boards.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

The spectra can be equipped with one of several option boards.
As was pointed out, a PA system board was one.
Telemetry was another, and the one I have seen most of.
And, yes, the RR spectra can do PL, and even selectable PL.
The primary change made in a RR spectra is the addition of a 72+-volt power supply.
Radio99

Railroad Spectra

Post by Radio99 »

The "extra" buttons you refer to are for a PA option. Here is the scoop from the Railroad Spectra Manual:

Part 6 Options, Accessories and Programmable Features

Option MBW 330 PA/Intercom Interface

This option modifies the radio control panel to include four new pushbuttons, identified as RAD (radio), PA, IC (intercom), and CALL. The status of each button function is also indicated by an associated LED on the display. The function of the four pushbuttons is to control the state of the three Vehicle Interface Port (VIP) output lines available on the radio data connector. The VIP outputs control external customer-specific equipment. Also, momentarily grounding the first VIP input will reset all VIP outputs to the OFF state.

The option is combined with option MBW 496, which replaces the front panel of the radio with a blank panel and adds a single remote-mount control head to the radio. No Radio Service Software (RSS) programming is necessary to make the additional buttons operate. Operation of the standard front panel buttons is not affected by this option. Complete servicing information is provided in manual supplement 68P02950A55.

As a side note, the manual is not available from Motorola.

Hope this information helps answer the questions on this topic.
dapaq2
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale

Post by dapaq2 »

Guys,

Another feature that is offered on Motorola's Railroad Spectra Radios is the ability to Scan channels but this requires a different MLM board and if i remember some firmware upgrades.

Also on the codeplug issues, I have several railroads code plug that I could possibly share will you all but what I dont understand is what your going to do with the code plug as all it really has in it that I can remember is the radio settings for things like minimum volume, single tone settings for the dtmf keys, transmit power settings, and the home channel settings and display for the home channels.

Its been quite awhile since i have looked at the code plug but if my memory serves me right those are about all it had in there maybe a few other things, but i dont recall seeing anything in there that shows available features.

Anyway just thought I would put in my 2 cents.

Doug
mp501mp

rr spectras

Post by mp501mp »

hey all:
there are 2 types of rss for these radios depending on what firmware you have in your radio and now with the introduction of the new apco25 railroad radio there ae now 3 types.
i have the first 2. these are anolog rss and the apco25 version uses the digital version.
the neat thing is that these radios give you 99+99 channels i.e.
all channels are simplex and can be combined to be used with repeaters.

channel set up is basic

say 01tx 01rx or 01 tx 99rx or 99tx 01 rx and so on you can program these throught the key pad.
tx and rx can be swapped back and forth depending on what you want to listen to. these will do dtmf,tone call,home channel revert,mdc600 tone,mdc1200 tone,channel combo change,ptt,data etc just depends on your options that are installed.
i have on that has been reprogramed to do all of the vhf high band so if you have questions on this radio let me know.

removing the locomotive 72 volt circut so you can use it on 13.5 volts dc is easy. just a matter of unplugging it and installing a pigtail plug.

drop me a line if you or any one needs info i will try to respond quickly.
this is a rare radio so if you get a chance to get one do it.
by the by it comes in 2 different types locomotive cab and vehicle dash type.

will try to post some pics soon.
thanks
jim
motohead

Spectra Clean Cab Service Manual

Post by motohead »

Does anyone have a Spectra Clean Cab Manual they would make a copy of for me? I have the user manual but would like a schematic of the radio. They make an RSS manual too but I think they must be like hens teeth.

Thanks

Big Al
jwb8734
What radios do you own?: To many Motorola and Vertex

Post by jwb8734 »

I was looking at the Amtrak Acela Conductors Office in the Cafe Car and there is a Specta or Astro Spectra. There is no Mic connected to it but they have an external mic with a PTT on the radio. Also they have HT1250s with no PTT buttons on the side. Any reason they do that.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”