Visar Tech Question; Help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dougdeutsch

Visar Tech Question; Help

Post by Dougdeutsch »

Hi,

I have a VHF Visar that beeps as through it had
a low or dead battery even when the battery(s) is fully charged.

The same batteries work fine on my other Visar's.

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance,

Doug
motisking
Batboard $upporter

Visar low batt

Post by motisking »

There could be one of two issues with your Visar.

1- Your transmitter, when in use. is drawing to much current from the battery, causing a premature LOW BATT beep. Your PA could be ready to fail.

2- (I am not sure about this one) In the RSS in the service window, somewhere, there is a LOW BATT threshold level that might need adjustment.
Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Post by Tony Soprano »

Or a third option, there are solder defects under the AFIC or CPU chips, causing a false read on the batt. voltage. Unless you know of a good shop, Motorola flat-rate is in your future.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I second what Tony said. It's a not-uncommon fault with the Visar. Also, there's no 'low battery threshold' adjustment in the regular RSS. I think there is one in LAB.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
ruut

Post by ruut »

Battery treshold adjustment can be done with regular RSS, Eurpean is evn4140. Somewhere under "more options"...

BTW my GP900 doesn't give the chirp low battery signal anymore. When the battery becomes to low it just gives a single tone beep and tje LED flashes red-green :-(

Does some know how I can get the regular chirp back again? :roll:
Dougdeutsch

Thanks To All

Post by Dougdeutsch »

Thanks to all who offered help.

Much appreciated,

Doug
motisking
Batboard $upporter

Low Batt Beep Gone Bye Bye

Post by motisking »

Ruut,

The obvious thing to check is the LOW BATT CHIRP(ENABLE or DISABLE) in the RSS.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Low Batt Beep Gone Bye Bye

Post by wavetar »

motisking wrote:Ruut,

The obvious thing to check is the LOW BATT CHIRP(ENABLE or DISABLE) in the RSS.
Disabling the low battery beep is not a real solution. If there's a problem in the radio where it's giving a pre-mature low battery indication (as is the case with his), it should be rectified to work properly. Otherwise, there's a good chance the radio will fail with a perfectly good battery on it.

On another note, I haven't found a low battery threshold adjustment in the North American RSS, neither the VisarPP, nor the HT1000 RSS. I've never seen the European RSS.

Todd

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Nand

Post by Nand »

The only way the change the threshold in a Visar is by changing a resistor, either R725 or R726. These two form a voltage divider from which the battery voltage is read by the microcomputer at pin J6. Changing these is pointless of course and won’t cure the problem.

As both Tony and Wavetar pointed out, the problem is typically an open connection under the microcomputer. Sometimes you can verify this by applying light finger pressure on the IC while turning the radio on. Re-flowing the joints (all 86 of them) with a proper hot air reflow station cures the problem.
It is likely that other joints under the IC are either open or ready to fail anytime soon as well.

Nand.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”