ONE ON THE RADIOS IN MOVIES TOPIC AGAIN

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I just saw Black Hawk down, Incredible movie!! I recommend it to all!!

It was nice to see they used the actual equipmemt too...except for the blanks in the M60 belt.

Anyway, most were carrying Motorola SABER-R I models with the NMN6128C mics. They were so new they even still had the plasic over the label.

And they actually pushed the PTT when they talked...kind of rare in movies at times.

mancow
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Check out the show "Yes Dear" on CBS, one of the characters has a job as a sceurity guard and carrys an Astro Saber!! Glad I don't work as a prop master, I'd be tempted to pull the astro and give him an MT500 to use, while I programmed the astro up and tried it out!!

10-95

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 10-95 on 2002-01-19 17:34 ]</font>
jim

Post by jim »

Just caught one on Beverly Hills Cop III tonight. One of the detectives was talking on the mobile and was speaking into the rear or the mic. I guess Motorola puts a small condenser mic element in the hangup button.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Jim: No, I think the guy was using one of those special voice-cancelling units (G)!

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS3000/astro spectra/

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

i swa an old starsky and hutch recently, hutch was talking into the back of a slimline ht220 in some western town movie prop scene looking for a bad guy, oops! circa 1978 tv show
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

Check out the all time Motorola new product show off shows, Adam-12 and Emergency, I think Jack Webb had a deal with M or something. I caught an episode last week with Martin Millner's character having a wreak into a ditch in his patrol car, he was pinned in for the entire show, and beleive it or not the Mic on his mocom 70 was smashed in the impact, so for the entire show he is using wires from the Mic element to send FM CW, s.o.s , they finally found him, thank god!!

10-95
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Also a little something I noticed, that in Lethal Weapon 4 the astro saber they use when they're talking in the car to the chopper, the astro was actually off when they were talking. (I noticed that the volume knob was in the "off" position) You can tell I'm not bored :smile:
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I still want to know how ET made an intergalatic MDT unit out of an electronic see and say. I found that to be the most interesting part of the movie when I was a kid.
Will

Post by Will »

You would be amazed just how "stupid" some of the prop guys are and the technicial director was sleeping!
This is why I am gathering together some radios, that no longer work, and making them look good for the movie people.
This is another of my projects that does NOT make me ANY money! But BatBoard always makes my day.
radiofreak

Post by radiofreak »

I noticed in a TV sitcom that a detective was using a P200 as a cellular phone. He put the speaker up to his ear and had a conversation talking into the battery.
jim

Post by jim »

If anyone caught "The Man Show" on Comedy Central, you would have noticed that Adam was using some older "M" product. It was hard to make out what it was.
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

How many movies have you seen with a scanner in a house or car, and 10 Led Lights! going non-stop right thru the dispatch tx.?
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Yeah, I caught the scanner LED gaffe in 'Die Hard'. The reporter was listening to the dispatcher sending backup to Powell at Nakatomi Plaza, but the lights never stopped cascading. Lots of comm errors in that movie.
I remember that Adam-12 episode too. Didn't a perp rip the Mocom mike out, and steal Malloys shotgun, after the wreck? And wasn't it Reed, of course, who heard the squelch breaks, and correctly interpreted them as Morse code?
Gotta love Jack Webb-always a tidy ending...
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

As I recall that Adam-12 episode, Malloy did NOT send code as some of us know it. Rather, he and Reed played 20-Questions, with one zap of the PTT for "Yes" and two zaps for "No," in response to Reed's questions, because although the mic had been ripped out the car's receiver still worked. But they sure didn't know or use Continental Code, which is what it is properly called. Morse is the telegraphic code which consists of dashes, dots, and spaces, and is somewhat different from Continental.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom in D.C. on 2002-01-21 16:21 ]</font>
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

<b>Some Tips for Hollywood</b>

<uL>
<Li>Make sure the radio is actually powered on. It looks dumb if it's switched off, and still magically works.
<li>Make sure the actor is talking into the microphone's element. Contrary to popular belief, talking to the back of the radio or microphone won't work well.
<li>A 2-way radio isn't a cell-phone. Don't let the actor hold it up to their ear. This looks really silly.
<li>When transmitting, the actor must press and hold the Push-To-Talk button. Likewise, for the actor to recieve something, they must release the Push-To-Talk button.
<li>Be sure to fit the radio model to the character. A security guard wouldn't be using an Astro Saber. They'd be using an SP-50, or some other cheap radio.
<li>Make sure the dispatcher doesn't call the actor saying "One Adam 12...One Adam 12..." :smile:
</ul>
Feel free to make suggestions to this list.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
RCVMO

Post by RCVMO »

And I bet all of you saw the car in the background when the elflings were in the field in "Lord of the Rings", Didn't you??????????????
EC-7

Post by EC-7 »

"American Pie 2" they used FRS radios and talked to FRS, CB, Police.

"The Fast And The Furious" they had a 10 LED scanner that didn't stop flashing when a dispach was made. They also had different beeps for the Nextels.

"Gone in 60 seconds" used the Alinco credit card sized HAM or FRS
radios to talk across the city. Those radios had 200mw max.
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

Did anyone see that MacGyver when he makes a crystal radio that allows him to pick up the "bad guys" radio communications? Amazing. They use a lot of radio's in that episode, I wish I had it on tape... Anyone know of the episode I'm thinking of?
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

To continue the MacGuyver thread, or rather the movie radio thread, Anyone recall the Mac episode where he gets locked in a room with a DTMF keypad activated door?

He fills a few x-tal wine glasses with wine to various levels and then records them on a doctors tape recorder and then strips the headpones wiring and hooks each polarity to forceps and attaches them to the various circuits on the access panel on his side and was able to release the lock.

Talk about a "new" use for DTMF....
cracked

Post by cracked »

On 2002-01-21 12:38, KC8RYW wrote:
<b>Some Tips for Hollywood</b>

<uL>
<Li>Make sure the radio is actually powered on. It looks dumb if it's switched off, and still magically works.
<li>Make sure the actor is talking into the microphone's element. Contrary to popular belief, talking to the back of the radio or microphone won't work well.
<li>A 2-way radio isn't a cell-phone. Don't let the actor hold it up to their ear. This looks really silly.
<li>When transmitting, the actor must press and hold the Push-To-Talk button. Likewise, for the actor to recieve something, they must release the Push-To-Talk button.
<li>Be sure to fit the radio model to the character. A security guard wouldn't be using an Astro Saber. They'd be using an SP-50, or some other cheap radio.
<li>Make sure the dispatcher doesn't call the actor saying "One Adam 12...One Adam 12..." :smile:
</ul>
Feel free to make suggestions to this list.
how about:

<ul>
<li>The actor cannot interrupt someone else by keying up in the middle of receiving.</li>
</ul>

you may remember that sort of thing happening in Die Hard (sooo many radio related errors in that movie).
JohnDo

Post by JohnDo »

Just Hapend to be watching James Bond Movie ( live and let die ) while reading these posts,

Its cool You can still recive while the PTT is depressed. you even have vox when your too lazey to pick up the mic and push the PTT in a patrol car with an old syntor or the like.

Was there ever a movie made were they used there radios correcly if so they should get the Acadimy Award..

John :smile:
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Yeah, Like Cracked said, I just love it when one person is sending and all of a sudden the receiving person interrupts them and the sending person actually hears them??? I guess all of the radios in Hollywood allow duplex transmissions??? lol
Scott
astronut

Post by astronut »

In the movie Fast and the Furious when he was listening to the scanner with the LEDs and they did not stop when dispatch was talking. He was listening to LAPD. I didn't think APCO 25 was standard with those crystal controlled scanners. he he

In Gone in 60 Seconds they were also supposed to be LAPD but it looked like he was talking into a scanner. It had a BNC and what looked like a VHF rubber duck.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

How about training day.... The narcotics team appeared to use Nextel, or an iDen derivitive, and they were doing single clicks to signal when to go, and if you've used one, there ain't no single beep when keying them.

-Alex
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

Check out the CBS show "The District", they all use the Saber series with speaker mic. In the first season you could see the Motorola logo on the Speaker mics, now they are gone, covered up with black marker on some and some without the sticker at all! Guess they did not want big M to get any free advertisments!

Frank
scott1811

Post by scott1811 »

Back to the adam 12 stuff, have you ever listened to the dispatcher at the beginning when they start the show. It goes something like this: one adam 12 one adam 12, a 2-11 in progress, one adam twelve handle code 3. They flip the lights and siren on, pull a U-turn and they are off. But where are they off to???? No address is ever given!!!
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

The Adam 12 dispatcher also mentions "See the man.." , maybe "The man" knows the address of that 2-11 in progress!

Frank
d119

you're all wrong

Post by d119 »

it's not 2-11, it's 211

no dash

211 isn't a "10 code", if you will (ex 2-11, 2-12, 2-13, etc), it's the california penal code for armed robbery: 211PC :)
2002radioman

Post by 2002radioman »

astronut wrote: In Gone in 60 Seconds they were also supposed to be LAPD but it looked like he was talking into a scanner. It had a BNC and what looked like a VHF rubber duck.
The radio he used was a VHF Kenwood Tk-290 with top display. In LA I think NOT!!!
FatBoy

movie radios

Post by FatBoy »

In the movie "Joy Ride" There is a scene near the end where the good guys are fighting the bad guy behind the motel and one of the good guys grabs a crate, upon which a newer portable is perched with green and red LED's glowing. Other stuff like that pops up in that movie. FatBoy.
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
Cell God

Post by Cell God »

How about these 2:
1.) In CHiPs Return (made for TV movie in the late 90's early 00) Ponch was caught in a traffic jam and had to hang from a ladder under the heli. He had to hold onto the emergency blood supply with one hand, the ladder in the other but when he talked into the speaker mic they heard him all the time.

2.) And also on the Die Hard thread. How in the hell could all the CB (terrorist) radios talk to the police band, and FBI. I did not know that M made a dual band Pub Safety/CB HT.

In addition in most movies where they use a generic speaker/mic they are usually the old radio shack ones that are remote speakers only.

-Cell God

Oh one last final comment. For all you Star Trek, Nextel fans watch and old Star Trek (with Krik and the Gang) movie or show and did there communicators have the sound of the chirp of a Nextel when they responded. Does that mean nextel will survive will all other cell companies go bye bye?????
Makes you think doesn't it!!!!
Will

Post by Will »

Check out the Sabre rack charger in NYPD Blue, all the led's are on all the time!!!
Talking into the back of the mic, well does anyone remember the Turner mic that had the mic element on the "hang-up stud" side? That mic WAS way cool, did not have to turn it arround!!

LAPD once had a "hang-up" bracket in their cars that was backwards so the officer did not have to turn the mic in his(her) hand to talk into the front.
evanh

Post by evanh »

You know you're watching a quality flick when you hear the squelch tail at the beginning of the transmission !

Despite all of the above blunders, the systems perform amazingly well.... No dead spots, breakups or intermod.
Good crisp, clear audio.... each and every time !

Heck,... even the CB radios sound good. Some even have squelch tails.
None of that 'south of the border' interference either.

EH
Last edited by evanh on Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i am not shure if any one elsed noticed that in emergency the first years they had motorola then later on they had GE Masrer II
mike38015
Batboard $upporter

A little off topic

Post by mike38015 »

:roll: While watching Die Hard With A vengence after the bomb blew up in the subway take a look at all mof the fire engines with completely empty hose beds, not one inch of hose. Makes it a little difficult to put the wet stuff on the red stuff. :x
Julian

Post by Julian »

I'd have to say the most common error ive found in the movies would have to be the squelch tail and the BEGINNING of the transmission. Believe I saw an Astro Saber in one of the Rush Hours, had a top shot of the Astro while the officer was talking, yet no transmit LED.
Ha,
Julian
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I...-

"Yesstirdaye I cuddn't spell teknishion, and now I is won!"

"800MHZ sucks range is a joke
UHF has range but VHF has more". - the greatest technician of all time, Astro_Saber.
jim

Post by jim »

Did anyone else ever notice when watching police chase videos on Discovery or TLC that all of the tire squealing sounds are mixed in. There will be two cars going completely straight and they are squealing like crazy! Their tires also squeal heavily when traveling on wet roads, sand, mud and dirt. They are making perfectly normal maneuvers in a police car and it sounds like they're doing donuts (no pun intended, cops!) in a parking lot.

When a K9 is sent after somebody and grabs them, a very fake "chomp" sound (I think from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon??) is dubbed into the sound track.

Ever notice how you can hear the tires squeal from the chopper camera/audio recording?

Catch the one with a Yamaha motorcycle running from the cops and they addded the sound of a Harley engine?

How about the one with another Japanese bike running and you can hear the engine as is rips upward through the gears. Too bad the speedometer reading on the video showed a consistant speed and no upward acceleration.
EngineerZ

Post by EngineerZ »

jim wrote:Just caught one on Beverly Hills Cop III tonight. One of the detectives was talking on the mobile and was speaking into the rear or the mic. I guess Motorola puts a small condenser mic element in the hangup button.
Apparently GE had the same feature back in the '70s according to this picture:

http://www.hyattsvillevfd.org/emergency/emercapt.jpg

--z
mike m

Post by mike m »

It all started with Broderick Crawford in the series 'Highway patrol' back in the 1950's, he was always talking into the back of the darn mic. Oh boy am I getting old if I can remember that far back.

Mike.
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

Hey, watch COPS, and listen carefully, when they have there show say in Dallas Fort Worth, or somwhere eles, what do you hear in the background of the radio, LAPD, lol, I 've been noticing that, I can hear LAPD call being dispatch on Fort Worth, or asking to go to tac 6 lol, Just thought would bring something out if, you guys havent notice yet
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

I've always gotten a chuckle out of the fact that not only does COPS "borrow" audio, they only seem to have 1 or 2 clips. Watch an episode, and see how many times you here "1490 to 1433 transmit on Tac2" or something similar. You'd think they would expand the library by a few samples. My other favorite is the way they use MODAT or ANI bursts to "bleep" out last names, addresses, license plates, etc.

Good clean fun!
2wayfreq
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, M-RK II UHF

Post by 2wayfreq »

Yeah, I always seem to hear the same "Police Traffic" sound effect on different movies. Such ignorance in the movie industry. I had a question though. What kind of radio does Col. Jack O'Niel have in the origional StarGate? Its the dual antenna VHF/UHF? radio.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

On 'The District' I think your looking at a Jedi mic. I've noticed the black tape over the 'M' on Nancy's mic. come and go over a bunch of episodes.
Don't know what that's about but haven't seen the blackout on anyone else's mic. The 1st radio blunder I can remember is Kojac where he has
a mic. coming out of a Bearcat III.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

OK- Just a hair off the topic, but how about what is affectionatly referred to at one of my agencies as "The Kojak Phenomonon"?

This is the miraculous bit of physics where you get a call, roll down the window, and stick the gumball light on the roof through the open window.

Now- on TV- You get to the call, open the door, step out, and save the day.

In the real world- You get to the call, open the door, drag the light accross the roof, leaving a nice scratch, until it gets to the edge, whereupon it catapults itself off of the roof (usually still running) and swings like a pendulum into the door, denting the door or, if you're really good, destroying the driver's side window.

Seen it a million times. Still cracks me up :)
Last edited by HumHead on Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

Humhead that is so damn funny!!! Man you need to get a job in Hollywood writing comedy scripts!! That made my day man!

Frank
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Speaking of the show COPS, I was watching it last night, and (they were showing the LAPD) and they had what looked like the old MX360 with MODAT, and thats about all I heard for the entire time, that annoying noise :)

Eather that was an older episiode, or they didnt make the Astro saber switch yet.

Just a comment
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

A lot of these off topic threads are good for a few chuckles- Guess we have related stuff in common other than just the radios. The fireball story
reminded me of the time it came loose from the roof, hit the road, got run over by the car in the next lane and showing up at the call with what looked like a crumpled tuna can dragging in the road from the end of the coil cord.
Bob

Post by Bob »

We had a guy in my department who had a habit of putting his light on the roof of his car through the open sunroof. That worked great until the day he decided to try it on the expressway at 70+... flew off his car and shattered the windshield of the vehicle behind him. Everyone was ok, but DAMN did that make a mess.
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

HUM HEAD, thats GREAT!!!

AS 10-95 said, ya made my day too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole story about the light on the roof is soo true....

take care
ARZ902

More Hollywood mistakes

Post by ARZ902 »

The one that gets me is in Die Hard II - has any one ever seen a C-130 with an ejection seat?

How about a hand launched personal ordance device with a 30 second fuse? :lol:

Dennis

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”